promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Which car has the right of way?

Car A is going West, car B is going East. They each have a stop sign ahead of them.

Car A is turning left, while car B is going straight, however car A reaches the stop sign and comes to a complete stop several seconds before car B.

Neither car can move yet as there is traffic coming North and South.

Does car A have the right of way because they reached the stop sign and came to a complete stop several seconds before car B?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The car that came o a complete stop first has the right of way.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

First to arrive, first to go. 

• 1 month ago

Most drivers will honor the driver who arrived first at the intersection and allow them to move first.

• 1 month ago

If I were there I'd give the car going straight the right of way regardless of the law.

I have no intention of getting into any accident merely to prove myself right.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First to arrive, first to go. Additionally, no one has the absolute right of way. It is granted to one driver by another driver. Even if you have the legal right of way, in some circumstances, you still be cited under the "last clear chance" to avoid the collision rule (not law).

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The vehicle that arrives first at a multi-way stop has the right of way regardless of the direction they're going after they stop. If traffic is not clear enough for them to make the turn but clear enough for the car going straight to get through safely then car B can go.

• 1 month ago

No, in this scenario, it doesn't matter which car arrived at the stop sign first as both needed to yield the right of way to the opposing traffic. Once that had passed car B has the right of way over car A.

• 1 month ago

The car going straight has the right of way.

• Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Car A would have the right of way because they arrived at the intersection first.  However, considering they have both been waiting for traffic, usually in that situation car A would wave car B through to go ahead (or car B might go ahead and wave car A through) just to avoid confusion and a conflict of bumpers.

• ...Show all comments
    • Sky
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No it isn't.  It happens all the time, and I've seen people wave cops through.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.