None ya asked in TravelCruise Travel · 1 month ago

Cruises for families?

I’m looking to surprise my husband with a cruise for next year as a graduation present. We have a son who will be 4 at that time. What are some good destinations or cruise lines that are reasonably priced? We prefer departing from Florida, anywhere

Assuming you don't live in FL, you have to factor in the cost of air, too.  When you cruise has a considerable impact on rates.  Cruising while kids are in school is cheaper than when they aren't.  We used to pull our kids out of school to cruise just to avoid the extra cost.  

Much of what should drive your decision depends on what you are looking for.  If you are looking for a quiet, chilled out cruise, then look at Celebrity.  If you want a lot of activity, then RCL.  Disney is great, but it's the most expensive mainstream cruise line.  And it isn't really worth it for a 2 year old.  NCL is also relatively inexpensive, but of the 19 cruises we've done, NLC was out least favorite.  I did one Carnival, and it was sort of low rent.

Booking as far in advance as you can may save you money; if there is a price drop, you can get it as long as you haven't made final payment. If the prices increases, you don't pay the increase.  If you are looking at going sooner, check out the 90 day ticker on vacationstogo.com.

As you are new to it, I strongly recommend using a travel agent.  A good one who knows cruises can not only recommend something to fit your desires and budget, but can also provide guidance on which cabins are better.  I have friends who book through Costco, and are happy with them. 

You also have to decide what kind of cabin you want.  Newer ships have more verandas, so the cost differential between cabins with and without balconies is less that that which you might find on al older ship, with fewer.  Someone threw out a figure of $5000, I think that's a tad high.  We had a balcony cabin on the RCL Allure last Jan for under $2000 total for a week.  We generally pay around $3000, and we don't do cruises less than 7 days.  Short cruises out of FL can be "booze cruises", so we avoid them. Nothing wrong with drinking, but I'm not so fond of a load of drunks. 

Best of luck. Cruising is addictive.   A lot of people dis it, but it's a great way to relax, and they all have great kids' programs, so you don't spend your entire vacation trying to entertain your child.  

If you have AAA insurance or road side service you can use the travel agent their and they do everything, plus know what cruise would be in your price range.

If $1200 for 3 nights is too pricey I'd look for something, cruises are not cheap.

• Stephanie1 month agoReport

You can always get discounts on cruises www.stephaniecastaneda.com here is the link check it out

A lot of people with kids LOVE the disney cruises

• Stephanie1 month agoReport

Yes and I found an amazing business that gives us discounts on these tickets instead of 1200 you would get them for $700 check it iut www.stephaniecastaneda.com 

• Mrsjvb

Way too vague.  Cruises start at $ 100 per person per day and go up from there.  Your child will pay the going rate for a 3rd passenger. Could be ‘free’ paying taxes and port fees, could be as much as the cost of the first person.

Set yourself a budget, and choose a destination.  Then go from there

What do you call reasonably priced? I call a reasonably priced cruise a 7 day cruse under $5,000. Now how long of a cruise do you want, 3 day, 7 day, 10, day, 12 day, or more? Then how many port of call even makes a different in prices along with what kind of room you want. See a travel agent, at least get some travel books and see what is available to where you want to go and for how long. 

Myself, a 3 day cruise is to short and I would never take an inside room. But in the end that is all your choice. Don't forget sightseeing tours at port of calls. They can be cheap or expensive depending on what you do. 

I would suggest you leave the 4 year old at home because they don't really have that good of the time and parents don't either because they are watching the child. A ship like this can be dangerous for small children.