Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Ignoring my aunt for driving drunk?

This was maybe a little over a month ago. I knew my aunt Karen drank my entire life, and just started worrying about her drinking, and driving, as she doesnt have much of a conscience. I talked to her about it, and she said she has a couple shots every night at home, but never drives afterwards. Well, a couple days later she came up to my brothers house for my brothers birthday. She was noticeably drunk, but kept denying it. I convinced her to let me drive. Well, my moms dog suddenly got really sick, so I raced him to the vet, because no one else was fit to drive. I stupidly trusted my aunt to stay put until I got back. I was gone for maybe 30 minutes. When I got back she was gone. It infuriated me. I would mow her lawn every few weeks. Fast. Forward a month after the event to now. She texted me a couple of times I. the past fee days asking if I could mow her lawn. I ignored both messages. She texted me today, and said that she knows I'm upset with her, and that it breaks her heart, an that she only had a couple shots, and she was fine to drive. But she told me she doest drive after drinking a couple days before that, so there was the first lie, but the biggest lie is shes still denying that she drove drunk, when I KNOW shes lying. I feel kind of bad, because we've always gotten along very well, but when I think about it, shes just a toxic person. All she does is talk about herself. Shes just full of drama, and not to mention she drove drunk, and probably does on a daily.

What do your parents say about it?  Also, what do you mean you're the one who had to race the dog to the vet because no one else was "fit to drive"?  I ask because if you're living in a family of drunks, sadly you're on your own trying to fix this.  It's really hard because you can't believe a word an alcoholic says (and she sounds like one).

Here's one thing you can do. If you ever know for sure she's been drinking and she's about to drive (like maybe a family party or whatever) call the local cops, tell them she's been drinking, give her location, type of car and tag #.  In most places, they really appreciate this!  They'll track her down and then follow her until she commits some minor violation, even driving erratically.  It's anonymous, because they never tell the person someone called.  And the reason this is so effective is that people can stay in denial about this stuff until the consequences start building up.  Getting taken to jail for a DUI is an ugly consequence.  Also, it goes without saying nobody in your family should bail her out.

PS @Sean, you're only partly right.  No, she didn't have a choice to be an alcoholic, because it's a genetic predisposition.  However, she makes a choice every single day to not get the help she needs.   If she regularly drives drunk, it's only a matter of time before she injures or kills someone.  My uncle was like this, and the family made a pact that he would not be invited to anything unless he promised to  hand over his car keys as soon as he arrived.  This caused drama, so the family stopped inviting him.

maybe you should tell the dmv about it

Does your father or mother know about it? You need to tell your aunt you are going to report her to the police as she may kill someone while driving intoxicated and that would be a prison sentence for her? How old is she?

Your aunt is an alcoholic, which is a disease, not a choice. Make sure not to drive as a passenger in her car. The difference between an alcoholic and a heavy drinker is that a heavy drinker can refrain from drinking when it is necessary for example a couple of hours prior to driving. An alcoholic can't. This isn't a matter of conscience any more than a cancer patient lacks a conscience for getting cancer.