Natalie asked in PetsBirds · 3 months ago

Will mouse droppings hurt my chickens?

Sorry the preface is a bit long, I just want to make everything clear.

I have a mobile chicken coop in my backyard that gets moved every few months, and while it's being moved, cleaned, and reset, I let my chickens roam and graze freely. I keep their feed, grains, and grit in a bok outside the coop, and it's got quite the mouse infestation. I will be moving the coop and cleaning out the feedbox soon, and I would love to let me girls graze through the dropped food mix so it doesn't go to waste, but I'm worried that the mouse droppings might make them sick. Will it be okay to let them have some of it for an hour or so while we get the coop moved, or should I take it away to clean it out so they can't get to the soiled food?

Thanks all!

I wouldn't worry about it. There is no way that you are going to keep every mouse out of the feed. If they can't get into the box, they will take the food from the feeders. The best you can do is to limit their number. You really don't want to know what the chickens are eating when they are grazing, either.

• Jack H

Mice and rats pee and poo on the move, they do not store their waste products, so make a mouse proof container to store your grain hang feeding pans etc., to stop mice getting there, dump the polluted grain, burning would be best. Good luck... ohh, remember if you feed bad food then eat the eggs, you will never be certain what you are going to catch...