Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 2 months ago

Is there such a thing as only five jurors needed for jury duty instead of 12 jurors?

Juries can vary in size.

• Nancy

The number of jurors on a jury is determined by the jurisdiction.  Federal juries can have 12 jurors voting, but that generally happens by one side or the other pushing for it, because federal juries are only required to have six jurors with 12 members, the other six serving as alternates in case any of the six become disqualified.  There are jurisdictions, various state and county jurisdictions, where the number of jurors impaneled is five.  

You will serve unless you act like a ****ing idiot when the judge and lawyers ask you questions. I know one dude, not saying who, who got excused when he kept answering questions with, "That's an interesting question, I don't know if I could give you an honest answer this quickly and since i am under oath, I can't answer truthfully now."

• Kenny

Some in Texas have 6 but not 5 .