Can I reclaim a car I sold?

Long story short... I had a camper van I sold about 2 months ago the new owner never registered it and didn’t have insurance, license and is a felon I found out.. I got a letter it is sitting in the impound in broken arrow ok. My question is is their any way I can reclaim it anyway legally..? He won’t be able to get it out and it will ultimately go to the wrecker service... :/ still in my name but owner has a signed title and bill of sale.

If you still own it, then you still own it.

• STEVEN F
      1 month agoReport

If you sold it, you DO NOT own it.

Have you signed the title over to him?  The new owner (your last sentence) doesn't sign the title.  If you have signed the title then retain an attorney and have them notify the DMV.  This may require an affidavit on your part.  You can't get the camper back but at least clear it up with the DMV.

Unless you have a lien recorded on the title, that would be THEFT.

Even with a lien, unless they defaulted on payments, it is theft.

The buyer being a felon CANNOT be relevant.

In the case you describe, you should provide a copy of the bill of sale to the impound lot and direct them to contact the ACTUAL owner.

• PAMELA

See a lawyer, but if you sold it to him it is now his.

Get the buyer to give it back.

• Ana

No. If he paid you for it, then it’s not yours. You don’t get to keep the money and keep the car too. That’s stealing

His issues are his issues, but the car is not yours

Aside from police, you also have to worry about him putting a shotgun to your face

Well you're going to need a copy of the title and the registration in your name in order to go get the vehicle! and then when you go to the wrecking yard they're probably going to want five or six hundred dollars for it. But if you have the title and the registration and it never got filed with DMV go ahead and go pick the vehicle up. If the felon has no driver's license and has no registration on the vehicle he's certainly not going to be able to redeem that vehicle. Legally there is no theft if it's still legally in your name. But if he finds out that you redeemed it he might come for you with violence. But he probably never find out. But if he does felons can get nasty if it comes down to a legal situation you'll have to give him the chance to repurchase the vehicle for the price that the towing company wanted.

• Jeff S

Yes I think you should be able to. Is it worth the Impoundment fees and storage?

You sold it it is not yours to reclaim.