do I have high blood pressure?

my doctor told me my bp is 129/82 and he said that is in the normal range. I thought normal was 120/80. Both of my parents have high blood pressure. Does this mean I will have high blood pressure too in the future? What can I do to reduce my bp?

• You are in the normal RANGE.

The accepted "normal" seems to rise and fall with the price of prescription medications.

Refer to a blood pressure machine to determine what's "normal". Mine is set for 120/80.

Having a higher or lower reading isn't necessarily an earth-shaking emergency. Your numbers are slightly high but nowhere near dangerously so. It just means you need to increase your water intake.

Your blood pressure is just fine for now, and when we go to the doctor, our blood pressure usually gets a bit higher than it normally is because it can be a (subconscious) stressful situation for us.

129 / 82 is just fine

• oikoσ

You are defining "normal" too precisely. There is a range that is "normal" not a single pair of points.

Chances are that your BP will rise with age. Probably the best things you can do are to eat properly and exercise, keeping your weight in a "normal" range. And even that will vary with how much of your weight is fat and how much is muscle.