promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

do I have high blood pressure?

my doctor told me my bp is 129/82 and he said that is in the normal range. I thought normal was 120/80. Both of my parents have high blood pressure. Does this mean I will have high blood pressure too in the future? What can I do to reduce my bp?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • You are in the normal RANGE.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

The accepted "normal" seems to rise and fall with the price of prescription medications.

Refer to a blood pressure machine to determine what's "normal". Mine is set for 120/80.

Having a higher or lower reading isn't necessarily an earth-shaking emergency. Your numbers are slightly high but nowhere near dangerously so. It just means you need to increase your water intake.

• 1 month ago

Your blood pressure is just fine for now, and when we go to the doctor, our blood pressure usually gets a bit higher than it normally is because it can be a (subconscious) stressful situation for us.

• 1 month ago

129 / 82 is just fine

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • oikoσ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are defining "normal" too precisely. There is a range that is "normal" not a single pair of points.

Chances are that your BP will rise with age. Probably the best things you can do are to eat properly and exercise, keeping your weight in a "normal" range. And even that will vary with how much of your weight is fat and how much is muscle.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.