If a cop questioned somes would it be a public record?

A “concerned” parent went to the school with something about my child that is a complete lie. The school called the cops and the cop called the parent. So my question is, would that be a public record I could get to see if this parent is who I think it is? This woman has had issues with me since we worked together 10 years ago, but why mess with my 17 year old daughter? 

Absent actual charges, you ARE NOT entitled to the witness's identity.

• Maxi

So you understand what 'public record' means, it is recorded information ABOUT the public, it doesn't mean 'the public' can view those records

So the school has wrtten information about the incident and the police have written information about the incident as well... so it is a record about what happened, so is a written record about the public........ neither is a record that the general public can view or access.

So the answer is yes it is a 'public record' and private to the people/organisation who wrote it...so for their records only

• STEVEN F

YOU are DEAD WRONG. In fact, the definition of "Public Record" is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you claim. If refers EXCLUSIVELY to records available for examination by the public.

In my state police reports of active investigations are not public.  In my state, once the matter is closed you might be able to access reports.  Btw, you are not at all clear.  The parent goes to the school but then the school goes to the parent?  If you are going to fight over records, you will need to be very clear.  Finally, not every interview results in a report, and some states allow for redacting identifying information. 

• Ana

Hire a lawyer (a lawyer who has a private investigator they can use when needed).

The lawyer will be able to find out this information, and then will be able to help you sue this woman for defamation and false accusations, as well as civil damages.

Also, keep in mind that unless your son was actually arrested, your son should not have any sort of “record”. If your son was simply questioned, there won’t be a record.

Also: If your son was arrested but never charged... or if he is charged but the verdict comes back “not guilty”... basically any outcome except guilty or except a plea deal... then he can petition for expungement, where the entire criminal case gets essentially erased, so nobody (background checks, employers, etc) can see it. But he can’t get it expunged if he plead out or was convicted.

If all that happened was she called the school, then there shouldn’t be any official record of anything except perhaps informally, at school- which you can demand be removed if they did not find any evidence to prove her claims were true. 

No, not public record.

ASSUMPTION

My comments assume that the accusation went nowhere.

POILICE ONLY

If the accuser went directly to the police and the police did not take the accusation seriously and the police did not pursue the matter then you would not be entitled to any info from the police because no case was opened and additionally, the police shall not maintain a record of the complaint since it is not taken seriously.

SCHOOL

The fact that the school became involved may provide you some entitlement to information however. I would press the school’s administrator for information regarding the complaint since it caused your child to become involved, even indirectly, with the police.

CASE

If the police have opened an investigation into an accusation then you definitely are entitled to info from the police.

Regardless, you should be persistent because you don’t want anything lingering unaddressed in the system of the police or the school.

• Fried Kitten

Regardless, as I stated earlier, you should push the school to provide you info/update on what is going on with this matter. If it remains in your daughter's file in school records then you should persist to obtain this info. Don't take 'no' for an answer.