I'm perscribed Adderall for my ADHD. Can a out patient treatment program prohibit me from taking me medication?

So I've been taking Adderall for my ADHD for the last 5 years every day as perscribed. I have to attend an outpatient treatment program for alcohol because of an incident that happened. I was told by a counsoler that I'm not allowed to take my perscription medication while attending the program because Adderall is a amphetamine. I'm starting to struggle with symptoms of ADHD again now that I'm not taking it and I'm feeling at bit uneasy about this not taking me medication. I dont want to make a fuss with them but can they do this?

Favorite Answer

If you have a prescription and are being followed by a physician for your attention deficit disorder, I cannot see why you should be prevented from taking the medication while in an alcohol treatment program.  If anything, receiving proper medication should decrease your tendency to abuse alcohol as a self-medication. Talk to the head of this program.  If that doesn't work, go higher up. Your counselor is full of baloney. (I am a retired clinical social worker who specialized in dealing with ADD and ADHD in both children and adults.)

• Thank you for your answer Dr. Stephanie I knew something wasn't right about that. The counselor compares my medication and the use of it to the street drug meth, that really got under my skin.

I’m sure they CAN although it’s more or less a human rights violation to prohibit someone from taking a medication they need. See if there’s any way around it. 

• Talk to a doctor. This is something that you and he/she should discuss and come to terms on.

Yes they can refuse to treat you if you're using any kind of addictive drug you're not doing anything if you're using one drug and trying to get off of another it just doesn't work. However. You should be able to take synephrine you can get it off of eBay try 35mg to treat the attention deficit disorder instead of the adderal it shouldn't show up at all on the drug test because they don't test for it.