promotion image of download ymail app

A designer is buying materials and will be bringing them to me. Should they be charging me their state sales tax or my state sales tax?


They are buying materials for my kitchen and then bringing them to my house for the contractors

4 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    It depends on your state law (and the designer's state law if in another state). They may be similar but all 50 states have different sales tax laws.

    Source(s): Business owner
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Assuming that the designer bought those materials for resale, that is, didn't pay sales tax, then the tax for where they were delivered would be owed.  That doesn't mean that the designer needs to charge you, only that someone must pay the tax.

    At least in California, someone who buys goods tax-exempt for resale will have a card showing their status as a reselling business.  If the designer simply bought things at retail, then you are simply reimbursing them for whatever they paid, wherever they paid it.

    Which two states are involved?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    There is NO SUCH THING as 'her sales tax' OR 'my sales tax'. Sales taxes for purchases from a physical store are based on the actual location of the purchase. You should pay whatever she paid, or MORE.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Usually sales tax is charged on retail sales . It sounds like you are buying wholesale .

    • ...Show all comments
    • STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      Pepper: Actually, there is NO SUCH THING as the final consumer buying 'wholesale' as defined ANYWHERE. You are diging your hole deeper.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.