help with plagiarism/citing from a source?

Do unusual phrases like ‘transitional motherhood’ that are taken from a source need to be cited. I don’t think it does but I just want to make sure. Please help!

No they don't.                

If a phrase is the usual way to refer to something, you do not need to paraphrase it. I typed "transitional motherhood" into the Google search bar, and got lots of examples of the use of that phrase. You can look at some of those and see that it's used without citation. However, if you're going to define it at the beginning of your paper, as you should, you need to cite the source. Look at this example "Latina immigrant women who work as nannies or housekeepers and reside in Los Angeles while their children remain in their countries of origin constitute one variation in the organizational arrangements of motherhood. The authors call this arrangement "transnational motherhood."  (the authors referred to are shown just above. You should name the authors whose definition you are using).