promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 month ago

Baseball: If a pitcher hits a ball into the stands and a fan catches it, what kind of play is that?

I've heard it called a foul ball, or a fly ball, but what does it entail on the field?

Is it the same as a strike? A ball? An error?

Can the pitcher run the bases?

Update:

Sorry, I meant can the BATTER run the bases.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's an out totally

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

If it goes into the stands in fair territory, it's a home run, no matter if a fan catches it or not. If it goes crosses the foul line before reaching the fence, it's a foul ball. I guess you've never seen a game between two National League teams, or a World Series game in a National League city, where the pitchers hit and run bases like all hitters, and the designated hitter is not used.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If ANY PLAYER hits a ball that goes into the stands it's a foul ball

• 1 month ago

Any ball that goes into the stands that isn't a home run is a foul ball. A foul ball counts as a strike, except for when there are already two strikes, in which case it counts as nothing. The pitcher is the one throwing the ball and the batter is the one swinging. Even when the opposing team's pitcher is up to bat they are known as the batter. The batter runs the bases when he puts the ball in fair play. Also, any ball that lands outside the field of play is a foul ball. A fly ball is a ball that goes into the outfield. A fly out is when the outfielder catches a typical fly ball, but if the ball that goes into the outfield is hit at a low enough angle, it is called a line out.

• Christian
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

A ball is any pitch thrown outside the strike zone, except one that hits a batter, which is known as a hit by pitch. An error is when a fielder fails to make a routine play. The pitcher always stays on the mound except for when backing up a play and never runs the bases.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.