Amir asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

How do I get out of a (school) slump?

Grade 11. I'm usually a pretty high achieving, ambitious student. However, for whatever reason, I seem to have hit a major slump in my life, and I'm starting to see grades I never would have thought I would get. Although, ironic that I am using my valuable time to ask this question online, I cant seem to get any work complete, especially on time, or have the motivation to achieve greater? I'm not sure what is causing this sudden change, although it is extremely frustrating, not just to me, but others around me as well who want to see me succeed.

Enn has an interesting idea. As a student, I found that it was hard to be highly motivated when I didn't know what I was aiming at. Maybe this is the problem.

I suggest however that you take a depression screening test online. KADS 6-Item is designed for screening teenagers.

I'll tell you a couple of simple tricks that I've found to be very useful. I used to have a terrible problem with procrastination, and these things helped me greatly.

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you outside for some exercise to energize you, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

If you're zoning out in class, the thing is to practice active listening. Get involved with the lecture instead of listening passively, A book with advice for this is a book I often recommend, Complete Idiot's Guide to Study Skills.

More on study in this answer. Sometimes a student can bring his grades up quickly by using better methods for studying for tests.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This answer has details, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

• enn

It could be a lack of an identified plan once you graduate. The way to stay focused is to keep an eye on a target, but if you have no real target, you have no focus. Now would be a good time to talk to a guidance counselor about job training options. It is one thing to be a "High achieving student", but if you have no purpose other than "go to a good university to get a good job", which is a pretty vague idea, of course you would have no specific academic target to work towards! Now is a good time to talk to a counselor about classes needed for a purpose. My husband actually went to see his old high-school counselor after he had already graduated and went to work at a national park. The counselor reviewed his skills in solving problems and liking to fix things, and guided him towards going to get an automotive service technician certificate through community college. Not only did he pass with flying colors, he has worked at Lexus for nearly 20 years. It turned out a 4-year degree was not for him, he did much better as a hands-on student learning by doing. There are all kinds of really cool jobs that require both intelligence and manual dexterity. Right now California is hiring diesel technicians fixing semi trucks, tractors, skip loaders, and forklifts. A good tractor company or semi truck trucking company now pays about $70,000 a year for a good repair technician. Welding certificates can also start at $70,000 working for the companies that operate machinery processing tomatoes or almonds here in California. They are always hiring skilled people who can do good auto body work on damaged vehicles. My husband just applied for a job at a feed company running computers keeping track of all of the incoming and outgoing grains and feed for dairy cow farms. Sometimes we don't need "great success", sometimes we just need "very competent people" doing the daily work of keeping the food moving down the highway every day A good guidance counselor should be able to assess your capabilities but also ask good questions. I know a lot of kids throughout high school who applied to go to a great college or university who ended up never going. I also knew a lot of people who, after working for a few years, figured out what they liked and went back to school to get the degree towards a much clearer purpose. My husband and I had a great time working at that national park -- we got to work as ski lift operators at the local ski resort there and got to try out a variety of jobs at the hotels before he decided he wanted to earn more money working at fixing cars. So don't be embarrassed to take a physical labor job right out of high school such as working at the meat packing plant or working for the orchard nursery or working at the machine shop in the tool crib. There are some things you should start doing, such as learning to read and speak Spanish -- it IS the 3rd most spoken language in the world second to English and Chinese -- and work on mathematics competency -- math is used wherever you go. But, talk a bit to a good guidance counselor to start finding a path you like starting now. It does help to have a plan that you can look forward to instead of ending up in a job you hate because no one told you you could get paid money to be the tow truck driver at the race track or could get paid money to be the guy who operates the scoreboard at the football stadium. So talk to the counselor and good luck to you wherever you go.

Why are you asking COMPLETE STRANGERS, you MORON? Ask the people AROUND you that CARE ABOUT you. Get a TUTOR if you need help and motivation.