Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

Hazel eyes or Heterochromia?

I’ve always thought I’ve just had hazel eyes that resulted as a mutation since my mom’s eyes are blue and my dad’s are brown. But I had someone comment that they thought I had heterochromia. What does it look like to you?

• amy

No. It is a pattern of separate eye colouring. Basically a screw up with the phenotype. Eye colour depends on alles and dominance and recessive. No alle is 100% dominant or recessive so you can get a mix between the two. Also you inherate two eye colours one from each parent and each parent despite phenotype has two eye colours one from their mother and one from their father. Blue is recessive and brown is dominant. Who knows what your fathers other eye colour was.  Green is also recessive. Your mother may have had both blue and green or both blue. The mix of green or blue with brown may have caused the hazel phenotype. Also you have blue rings, you lack iron.

Your eye color can change as you age. I have hazel eyes unless I wear the correct shades of blue. BOTH of my parents had blue eyes. I suspect its decades of exposure to UV light.

I would say you have brown eyes, but they might be hazel..Different people perceive the same colors very differently. Your vision does change as you age. So can your eye color.

If your two eyes are each a different color then it’s definitely heterochromia. Otherwise odds are its just genetics. Eye color is predicted by more than one allele, (not a simple Punnett square) a combination of alleles predict how much melanocytes an iris will have thus determining eye color!

• Lilliana1 month agoReport

I’ve heard of central heterochromia. I believe it’s when only the center (around the pupil is the best I can describe) is a different color.