Will drinking water help diarrhea go away? ?

I ate too much dark chocolate made with sugar alcohol in... please no judgments! I am diabetic. It’s the only way to eat sweets without shooting my blood sugar through the roof! 

I know drinking water is important especially with diarrhea so you don’t become dehydrated, but is there any truth it helps it go away?

• Shay
    Favorite Answer

Drinking water will not help diarrhea go away.

Drinking water WILL help avoid becoming dehydrated when  you do have diarrhea and that is extra important when  you are also diabetic which can also cause dehydration.

There are medications that can help stop diarrhea.  

There are two main medications that can stop diarrhea.

loperamide - which is the main ingredient in Imodium.  (available over the counter at almost any location with over the counter medications.  Any pharmacy would have it.)

Or 

bismuth subsalicylate - which is the main ingredient in Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol.  (also available over the counter at any location with over the counter medications.)

Personally, the first one has always worked for me and the second one has never worked for me.  (I am not diabetic, but my husband is and he has also used both of those medications and has better luck with the first one.)

Imodium is a little expensive, but most pharmacies have generic versions with the same active ingredient.  If you are too sick to go to the store, try to have someone get some for you.  You can get relief in as little as one dose.  

There are over the counter products which stop diarrhea. Go to Walgreen or Rite aid.

• mokrie

It helps flush you out so it's over. The best thing to keep in the fridge for diarrhea is gatoraid. Water is second best.

Sometimes drinking too much water may lead to diarrhea.