Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 1 month ago

Should I get in trouble for my error?

I’m an RN and work in a clinic. Yesterday I was discharging a patient and I had a headache and I admit - my teaching was all over the place. I could tell the mom was super annoyed. I apologized and was as nice as I could be. My doctor also ordered a chest x ray. I came into work today and checked the patients chart for the results and I realized that yesterday I sent in a sinus x ray instead of a chest. I told my doctor and he wasn’t super mad about it. So, I called the pts mom to clarify and apologize and she basically called me incompetent and that she will go elsewhere. I told my doctor what was said and I could tell that he wasn’t mad, just kinda disappointed. Should anything come of this?

Favorite Answer

No, of course not. Stop being so hard on yourself. People make mistakes...so what? You didn't kill anyone. You know what they say - "if it aint fatal...it aint no big deal".

• Judy

Not unless this kind of thing happens fairly often.

Any patient would think that you are incompetent.  It must have been some bad headache.  Ask the doc if he would like you to do anything about it, like write her a short note apologizing and explaining that you had a wretched headache and were feeling miserable and it affected your work.  If you don't continually screw up, nothing will come of it, although the doctor lost a patient.  That could be thousands and thousands of dollars over time, and a loss of numerous potential patients (friends and family of the patient he lost).  Sorry for making you feel bad.  We all have bad days.  Losing a patient is never good though.