Which job would you choose (new grad nurse)?

I graduate in May. I have two amazing jobs to consider!

These are both full time nurse residencies that will turn into regular full time floor positions after a year.Option 1: Has not officially offered me a position yet but I interviewed yesterday, and they emailed me today enthusiastically asking me to return so I can shadow! It’s a Labor and Delivery position in a magnet facility. I was in love with the hospital and the staff! It’s in the state capital (I don’t wanna say of which state); It’s a big suburb, and seems like more of a place to raise a family and settle down. I’m wondering if I’d have a fun young adult life outside of work.. yes, I know I could travel. But still. The pay they’re offering is to my satisfaction. Option 2: Offered me a position today, after I interviewed yesterday! It is a Postpartum position, which is almost tied with labor and delivery for my favorite specialty (labor and delivery is a bit higher). It’s 45 minutes away from option 1, in a booming city full of young professionals. I’m not sure of the pay yet, but I would imagine it’s similar. If not, I’ll negotiate. BUT the hospital isn’t magnet status, and the unit gave me an initial impression of slight gloom(color scheme, cleanliness). However, I warmed up after an hour of shadowing. Most of the nurses on the floor were friendly, but some were kind of distant. just a first impression though.

I’m going to shadow with Option 1 before I choose. I’m just wondering what you all would choose.

For anyone wondering, I chose option 1 this week

Favorite Answer

i would take the one they already offered you since you already have it

Since you only have one job offer, there really isn’t a choice at the moment. IF the first hospital offers you a job, you will have to weigh the pros and cons: location, salary, first impressions after shadowing, etc.

• :)

Understood, I’m just preparing to need to make a choice. I can delay it until i get an actual offer, but I’m probably still going to have a similar dilemma

• Kyle

seems like option one is best case scenario.  

have you considered the military?  they have plenty of health care jobs, and with your BSN, you could apply for officer school.  you would also have the opportunity to travel a lot as well.  

anything in life is what you make of it.  nurses often work in shifts.  so you may work nights and weekends and times.  so you will have to plan and adjust accordingly to have a social life, without it interfering with your work.