Is cursive writing being taught in the schools anymore?

I rarely see young people writing in cursive anymore. When I went to school in the early to mid 2000s we were taught to do signature handwriting, but now I almost never see people especially the younger generation under 25 write in cursive. Is signature writing becoming a thing of the past due to technology?

Favorite Answer

I honestly don't know if they still teach it in our school district anymore. When I was in the 3rd grade (probably around 2005 or so), we were taught cursive, but we only had a few weeks of lesson and not much practice. As a result, most classmates never really learned it well at least from what I can vaguely remember. After 3rd grade, it wasn't really taught by most teachers as far as I can remember. It wasn't until my freshman year of high school when my English teacher had us write out vocabulary words in cursive. Even then, she never taught us nor went over cursive; she basically told us to figure it out.

I'm 22 and I can generally read most cursive, sign my name, but not really write in cursive well due to the major lack of practice/lessons.

Side note: I work as an IT tech at the local school district and it amazes me just how much technology kids nowadays have in the class room compared to when I was a student at the district (~2001-2014). Sure, we had some computers in the classroom and computer labs, but now most students at the schools have Chromebooks and/or iPads for school use.

• 5 days ago

No because people butchered the system with their terrible handwriting.  They're being taught to print legibly now.

• 7 days ago

Like my grand daughters told me, when I asked them if they were ever taught cursive writing, 'the teachers can't read what the students write - so they just stopped it'.  To me, 1-week of cursive writing is NOT enough.  When I went to school....we did cursive writing 5-days a week for months until we ALL got it.

1 week ago

I made my children and grandchildren learn it, and other things. They had no choice if they wanted any goodies from me. They still write me letters in cursive. My grand daughter does caligraphy, and turns a pretty penny at it, too.

• I was taught cursive handwriting for one grade and that was it. The state had decided that it was no longer as necessary as it grew out of popularity and therefore the necessity of practicing cursive was no longer as important. It is sad as one cannot read older historical documents such as The Declaration of Independence without a fine print edition or some help.

I don’t think they do anymore. Some say it’s not needed, some come up with conspiracy theories like they’re making sure we can’t read cursive so gov can change the constitution easier and it wont matter bc we wont be able to read what it says... 

Either way, I heard in Texas they recently started implementing it in schools again so I like that..! 

I was apparently int he middle of when they decided to cancel it, because I remember doing it in Elementary and have papers I wrote from back then, so I know some basic writing, but then middle school came around and we never did it in class anymore... 

NO THEY STOPPED IT KITTY I DONT KNOW WHY

• Zirp

Handwriting? I'm sure that it is still taught in many places. Just not in Finland

I learned to write cursive back in the 1950s. We actually got graded on it back then. They called it "penmanship". I hardly use it these days, though I still know how to read and write that way. Also I know how to use a fountain pen.....doesn't work on the computer though.

I'm too old top know that but if it's true I would send my child to private school.