Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Do you know a novel in which show don't tell was expertly applied?

Please share

Favorite Answer

A novel isn’t going to be completely “show don’t tell”.  That’s unrealistic.  There are times when telling is crucial for a story to keep things moving and along.  Showing is more for scenes that deepen characterization or reveal significant turns of plot.  The question is what is needed based on the purpose of the scene.

I think “Two Towers” by JRR Tolkien is a good example of effectively using “show don’t tell” appropriately.  That may have to do with me writing a high school essay over 25 years ago about it.  Can’t remember any specific examples just remembering I got a good grade on the paper.

the ones that are easy to read and understand whats going on

Show vs. Tell is very frustrating.  The 'rules' say, showing is terrible and will get you rejected.  However, when you try to tell it is considered bad writing when you use a lot of description.

I honestly can't think of a lot of novels that do not spend a great deal of time 'showing'.

What does "show don't tell" mean?

• Katrina E.
      1 month agoReport

Mention her puffy eyes and/or slumped shoulders. Have another character say something like “Yo girl, didn’t 
      you sleep last night? You look shot.” SHOW the reader the character is tired don’t just TELL them she’s tired.