Why was my girlfriends State Tax Income Higher than mine? ?
We both made the same amount $23k each and my state tax income was $350 and hers was $950, any reason why? Both of our taxes were almost the exact same besides job title.
The number would be How much State Return we’re getting back each
- SlickterpLv 71 month ago
She had more withheld from her paycheck most likely.
- JohnLv 51 month ago
The only real way to tell is to get out both returns, and compare them line-by-line.
- Max HooplaLv 71 month ago
We would have to see the returns to tell you.
- LLv 71 month ago
1) She had different deductions... 401k, Healthcare Flexible Savings Account, other pre-tax items which reduced her taxable income;
2) Her W2 withholding was different than yours.
There may be other reasons - we'd need to see the paperwork...
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- The TaxpayerLv 71 month ago
you'll find out when you the return. Different exemptions claimed.
- KaleyKLv 71 month ago
If your taxable income is the same and your filing status is the same (single) then your tax liability will be the same. The "tax due" or "tax refund" may be different due to difference in tax payments (withholding).
There are other possibilities, such as a difference in credits. But the question to you is, what si the $350 and the $950? Tax due? Tax refund?