Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Parents: Do you want your kids to be at the top of the food chain at school?

So they end up being coronated prom king/queen while being captain of their sports team. All the four-eyed fat minority freaks will quiver in fear as your son/daughter walks down the corridor in style, occasionally shoving said freaks into the locker.

How about you get off your parent's internet and get your homework done?

No, I'd be mortified if any of my kids became a bully. My middle child plays basketball and is quite good. He is considered "popular", but has a very non-homogenous group of friends, ranging from his teammates to kids from his chess club at school. They are always at our house. If I ever learned that he, or any of my kids, was a bully, I'd consider it a personal and parenting failure. 

I want my kids to be the individuals they are and be happy about it.  If that is the prom king/queen, so be it.  But if not that is fine with me too.  And I know that who you are in high school doesn't define you for life, so anyone who considers popular people in high school at the top of the food chain has a lot to learn about life and will likely learn it in a crushing manner.

Fast forward fifteen or twenty years. The prom couple is still popular, but even their friends admit they drink too much and are in debt over their heads, and one of them is using... something. Their sports dreams sputtered before college was over, if they even got that far. It's obvious his hair is thinning and her pretty face isn't as pretty. His eye wanders toward women ten years younger.

Meanwhile, my four-eyed sons and daughters earned advanced degrees in something that really interested them. Some make triple what the prom royalty couple earns. Another might review the prom royalty's job applications or loan request and reject them. Another might take one aside at their next appointment and talk to them about what cocaine is doing to their nose, or ask as an old high school acquaintance whether Prom King is responsible for the injuries old and new showing up on the x-rays. (He is.)

Most of the four-eyes are married or in long-term relationships. They have interesting hobbies and pursuits and take or teach classes, encouraging others to try it. They're doing fine, are essentially happy as adults even though the prom kids did their damnedest to make the teen years a misery, and wouldn't trade places.

Seen this happen over and over. Enjoy your teenage years of ruling your very small domain, because it's not going to last.