Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 3 months ago

Best way to play this phrase on Alto Saxophone?

My part for Fiero has one section of 4 slurred sixteenth notes, D on the staff, C on the staff, B on the staff, and back to C. I’ve been trying to play this using the alternative C fingering but even then it’s a little tough. Are there any other alternative fingerings to play this phrase? Thx in advance for any help.

I forgot to mention that c to b is fine, the problem I’m having is from d to c

Favorite Answer

The key you would use to play high D can also be used for a middle register D.  The intonation is a little off but that might not matter for a fast note.  I don't know if it would be used for a passage like that but you could try it.

• Ayden3 months agoReport

I’ll try that out next time I practice, thx

If you need MORE alternate fingerings - www.wfg.woodwind.org.  I am a flutist, and when we have things that keep returning to D, after going to C or B, we often can park our RH ring finger one the D key and leave it there with no adverse affect.  Sometimes, we can park D and E.  Seldom can we get away with DEF - too much is covered - but again, the holes (air escape) are a lot bigger on the sax than the flute.

There are also great fingering books for each and every situation that any woodwind finds themselves in. Adn - there are always fine sax teachers, who might know more than you band director . . just sayin'.  We ALL had to take six weeks of every single instrument when we were in college, to be certified to be teachers - but 6 weeks, thirty years ago - not so sharp now.

Just 2 cents from a flutist with NO sax abilities. 

• Ayden3 months agoReport

Thanks for the advice