What is one reason the super-taster gene might still exist today?

So, I'm finishing up the research portion of my first BIO 102 lab. I've touched on every subject that is required, except for one; what is one reason the super-taster gene might still exist today? I can't find a single answer to this question. Moreover, my research shows that there is likely more than one gene responsible for super-tasting. How should I respond to the question?

I don't think it presents any kind of advantage to those who have it, making them more likely to survive or thrive. But it also presents no disadvantage, so people with the genetic components to produce a super-taster (perhaps themselves super-tasters) can freely make babies, some of whom will have that trait.

I have an acquaintance who's a super-taster. It's kind of weird, the times he mentions it. ("This milk tastes exactly like that milk we had at your mom's when we went there after Hardy's party, remember that?" or "Thanks, but no. Your Coke is too old.")