How often can an employer cut an employees hours?

My employer has cut my hours a total of 4 Four times since I began working which was  around 10/01/19, I am paid hourly $9.50 I was working a total of 35 hours and now I only work 20 hours... I was taking home $329.25 each week but now I am only taking home 143.20 each week. 

Is this legal? I should mention each time I was never notified about hours being cut 

Favorite Answer

you have the right to find a better job elsewhere. i suggest that you do so. as to legal -- yes, it is legal as long as you do not have a written employment contract which says otherwise

No more than once a hour.

Absent a written contract guaranteeing hours, they can just walk in an inform you your hours from now on are DON'T COME BACK.

they usually cut hours until you quit

• Andrew

Employers can cut your hours has much has they want and pay .Employees have no rights anymore

• Kelly

Short of a contract that states otherwise, they can cut hours as often as they like with or without notice.

A contract (union or otherwise) can stipulate how many hours you're guaranteed and how much notice they're required to give for a reduction in hours, etc but it really depends on the bargaining and the agreement.

Reduction in hours happens 2 ways, slow business and employee performance.  Slow business generally means they don't have the revenue coming in to cover expenses such as payroll.  Employee performance means they're not satisfied with your work so they're not giving you hours.

Also, how were you taking home $329.25 each week when your pay before taxes was only 332.50?  Pretty sure you'd owe more than $3.25 in taxes.

My position was eliminated in June 2018 in a company that I had worked for, for 10 years in a job where every review I had was "exceeds expectations" and the only notice I received was the day they let me know.  I worked half the day and someone from our HR at a corporate office told me over the phone I was done.

Look for a different job, preferably one that doesn't pay poverty wages.

Hmmmm, but I thought the Trump economy was the best ever.

• blank

Perfectly legal.  No one owes you a job nor a guaranteed set of hours.

Only thing you can do is ask for more and/or make sure your quality of work make you worthy of more hours.

Remember to look at the big picture tho - WHY have your hours been cut?  Is business slowing down?  Is the company struggling?   Does it have something to do with your work ethic or quality of work?  

• Susie

Of course, your hours can be cut. It’s time to find another job.