promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

On wireless wifi in a basement want to add my own router.?

So im currently in the basement of my house im on a wireless line where the router is one floor up and some of the walls between my room and the router are concrete. I have wanted to add my own router down here but everyones says it will have  limited specs due to verizon. My question is, even though i have limited abilities using a new separate router is it still worth it than being wireless and lagging?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You have to subscribe to your own internet service! You're not going to get around your parents' router passwords as you cant use two different routers on a single subscribed line lol

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • BigE
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

An access point with a wired connection is the way to go.  A router can be turned into an access point.  This will have zero affect on speed/latency, it is a switch layer 2 device. 

Yes, you cannot have 2 routers on the ISP provided side.  You can have multiple routers, but they split up your network such like printers and shares can be affected as well as network discovery protocols.  There are reasons to daisy chain them, but in your case an access point is the best bet.

A powerline access point might work, but the speed via the power line itself varies.

There are other solutions, each with its affect on speed/latency.

• GTB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Add a second wireless access point, hardwired to an LAN switch port of the router via a CAT6 cable. Do not add a second router. Use the same wireless user name and password on both devices; assign a static LAN IP address, not in the DHCP pool, to the wireless access point.

• Roddy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can only have ONE modem/router on any given internet service line.

You can therefore get, and pay for, your own personal internet service into the basement.

Alternatively, use a pair of devices called Powwrline Extenders. You plug one into an electicity socket close to the router and run an ethernet cable from the router to it.

The other one is plugged into a socket close to your computer and wired to it with an ethernet cable. There are some Powerline Adaptors that can also generate a wifi signal at the remote end and you'd want to use one of those if any of your devices cannot accept an ethernet connection (eg a phone or tablet).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can do as the other suggest with a wireless extender/repeater, unfortunately these only work in half duplex mode, meaning that although they improve the signal strength they reduce the speed by 50% because they receive the incoming wifi signal and then rebroadcast it effectively halving the throughput.

The alternative would be powerline adapters - these use  the household mains wiring instead of a long ethernet cable. You plug one adapter into ethernet port on  the router and a nearby mains socket and the other adapter into the ethernet port of the computer and a local mains socket. You could also use a mesh wifi system (google either for more information) but these are a lot more expensive, but don't have the disadvantage of the wireless extenders

• 2 months ago

You can add a router to the existing network.  You need only put it on the same network IP and set it up as an extender or repeater.  Place the router near the ceiling and as close to the other router as possible.  This will create a better connection to your system. 

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-setup-a-...

You can also add a new ISP connection (which you would, of course, have to pay for) and your own router wil help with that.  

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

We got Uverse and part of the package was two wireless extenders - maybe I have the name wrong, exactly. They boost the signal on the far sides of the house away from the main box. Concrete makes no difference because the signal is traveling through the electrical cable the box is plugged in to.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.