do you think a hour 45 minute detention is too long ?

i have just got home from serving a 1 hour 45 minute detention, if i am honest it was awfull, the first thing we had to do was stand up in a line in outside the detention room, we were then given a FULL school uniform inspection, we had to do up our top buttons and make sure our navy blue blazers were also buttoned up after this we were then told to enter the detention classroom in TOTAL silence and stand behind our desks, then the detention teacher took the register and gave out the punishment work set by the teacher that had put us in detention, some had to write lines and some had to write a punishment essay, i had to write a 4 page essay on why its so important to to behave in class, ONLY then did the 1 hour 45 minute detention begin, i got out of school 2 hours late, i then got a lecture from my mum, then homework so my evening was ruined, i know detention is a punishment but do you think it has to that long and dull ?

Favorite Answer

If, in the unlikely event what you say is true then you should have the intelligence to realise that detention is a punishment and if you had not done something to deserve it you would not have to serve a detention.

Detention is a punishment to dissuade those who do things to warrant it and so you should accept that what you did was wrong and ensure that you don't do something in the future to warrant further detentions.

Your mother was right to read the riot act to you and the homework was something that needed to be done.

The detention was not meant to be fun it is there to teach miscreants a lesson.

There is a couple of old adages that fit this situation:

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen and If you do not want to do the time don't do the crime.

• Poseidon
      4 weeks agoReport

I am surprised that you gave me Best Answer but thank you. I am sorry to disagree with you about 1/2 hour detentions. As I said before detentions are punishments and if you had not done something to get a detention you would have had your 'free time'

There are legal limitations on "detention".

A school can't just "detain" you without notifying the parents.  Also, they have to give advance notice.  Big no-no with minors!  Like, as in, lawsuit material.

https://law.freeadvice.com/government_law/educatio...

No. I do think however, they should have given you English homework.

I may not be in middle school because I do online school, but I could agree that is a very long detention. And to be inspected for your full school uniform that is too harsh for middle school, I feel like that should be high school detention.  

That's nuts the longest detentions at my school is 1 hour and in that 1 hour you do work and that's it.

very stupudi 

do you plan to again take the action that got you the detention? If no, then it served its purpose.

detention is a punishment, what is detention for, 1 to make the wrongdoer suffer and be punished, 2 to make the wrongdoer not want to be punished again and threfore it has to be hard, of course other students seeing yourself being punished with such a long and dull detention, should deter them from bad behavour

• jj1 month agoReport

goodgirl thats a great answer too

You forgot to include the birthday party you missed in this same post from yesterday.  Regardless of how you described it you deserved what you got...no sympathy here.

All the people were obeying a song by Iconoclasta called Slow Imoact after thousejd years we see Eva Duarte is still alive but that is what it seems the picture she eternally young but Slow Impact had some mathematics which reaches the end of the song nibody knows were it leads Slow I,pact suddenly I went to cementerio. La Recoleta and I found the tomb from. Eva Duarte and suddenly is this it.

A teacher after my own heart. Sorry.