promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

why "vegetarian fed with no animal by-products" eggs are good?

When I buy eggs, some say their eggs are "vegetarian fed with no animal by-products", it seems this is an advantage for eggs. 

Could you tell me why "vegetarian fed" is better?

Thank you 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There are two separate issues.  In an ideal world the chickens would be given their natural omnivorous diet.  When they don't get it their protein (and calcium) has to come from somewhere else.  If it's vegetarian usually from soya bean and in the west at least that soya often comes from former rainforest, so that's not good.

The second issue is that in our imperfect world the birds can be given bonemeal and other supplements made from animal by-products (waste from the food industry).  This is a vector of disease.  It is believed that the outbreak of BSE in the 80s and 90s originated in infected bonemeal being given to cattle as a supplement.  It is known that the catastrophic UK foot and mouth disease outbreak of 2001 originated in animals products in human food waste given to animals.  That's not good either.

I'd rather the birds got their worms and insects.

• Louis
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Another really good answer! Go Team!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I thought all chickens were vegetarian.

• 1 month ago

the fact is chickens are NOT vegetarians or vegan. they are omnivorous and in their natural state, getting outdoors, etc, they eat bugs, small rodents like mice, all manner of insects, worms, etc.

Your vegetarain fed chickens are not as healthy as the free range, running around outside chickens are.

Don't over think it.

• Daisy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Chickens are omnivores. If they roam naturally they will eat all kinds of stuff: bugs, a dead animal if they find one....

There are several items on supermarket shelves that never contained gluten now marked as "gluten free."

It's just another marketing gimmick. There is no health advantage to the eggs.....just to the egg corporation's bottom line.

• ckngbbbls
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

when the fat free craze started, foods that never had fat in them were suddenly labeled "fat free". jelly beans, pretzels .lol

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Several people have stated the health issues connected to, or believed to be connected to based on current evidence, with the use of waste products from slaughtered animals which is normally what is meant by animal by products. However chickens are omnivorous and naturally consume insects even with "vegetarian" food.  Personally I feel, like charging more for brown eggs (egg color depends on the type of chicken) it is an excuse to charge more for the eggs.

• 1 month ago

The question was about animal by-products, was it not?  Animal by-products means tings like feathers, the guts and feet and bones and organs of other slaughtered animals.  Even other chickens.  The concern of many is that prion disease (spongiform encephalopathy) can develop in animals fed the by-products of their own kind, or even fed to another animal, and then that animal's by-products fed back to the original species.  As for vegetarian, that is not the same as vegan.  Vegetarian fed chickens would eat insects and worms as well as vegetable scraps and whatever plants are in the pastures they roam.  I have even seen a video on youtube about raising chickens, in which a chicken snatched up and swallowed a mouse, whole.

• Chen1 month agoReport

thank you, it's quite clear!

• 1 month ago

It's not. Chickens are omnivores. They eat insects as well as grains, veg, and grasses

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because practises such as grinding up the bones of cows and feeding them to cows can result in the propagation of infection and illness. Just the like the BSE (mad cow disease) scare. Something similar could happen with poultry. 

They are simply stressing a point of morality and good husbandry practise. Nutrient-wise, I doubt there is much difference. Chickens are omnivores and given half a chance, cannibals too. 

• Louis
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

very good answer. 

• 1 month ago

I have a clarifying question: You mean human eggs right, cause if so, they taste pretty good

• IOM
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's ridiculous. Chicken are omnivores.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.