Taylor asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Should I adopt?

I am a college student, 20, who has struggled with depression and anxiety since I was in middle school. I first got my emotional support dog when I was 17 and my parents didn't want me taking him to college with me, since he has been bonded to our other dog since he was a 7 weeks old. I'm struggling with my mental health without him and current PTSD symptoms are getting worse(it's likely I have it I'm just afraid to actually confirm it). In all honestly I agree I dont want to remove my ESA from his safe place and him be alone for the first time ever, its a huge change. I have found an adult rescue dog that fits the ESA roll to the T and she's close by, my mom says no but I really believe she could help me and it's a fresh start for both of us, because honestly my current ESA isn't much of one. Im just wondering if I should explain the situation and try to convince both parents. 

i think it would be a good idea . maybe you could get one that doesn’t have as much energy as others

An ESA is a pet - JUST a pet. Get a pet rock. Most rentals do not allow pets, especially dogs and cats. Unless you are independently wealthy and can buy a house, and not have to worry about renting for a while.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

My advice, as someone who can relate to your situation, is not to get a dog. They are a huge commitment emotionally, time-wise, financially, socially, and they put enormous constraints on your lifestyle. Yes, I think a pet of some kind can help your mental health - but consider something that is more independent (or has fewer needs) such as a cat, a reptile or a small furry. 

When you're feeling low or tired, dogs can be a double-edged sword. Sure they're great companions, but when you don't feel like getting out of bed they'll be going stir-crazy and wanting to go out to toilet, play, run...

Don't underestimate how much work a dog is. They're like children, except they never grow up and lead their own life.They rely on you 24/7 for support, care, nourishment and exercise.

An ESA is nothing more then a pet. They can't be in pet free rentals, can't be in HUD houses, can't be in stores or dorms. 

They are subject to resections, pet rent and more since they are PETS. 

If you are so unstable then you can't be in collage and won't make it far in life and should be locked up in a mental hospital. A pet won't help you at all

And its good they never allowed you to take the dog since the collage would not have allowed it at all. And you dont need an ESA, its only a pet. Its time you grow up and suck it up and face life instead of looking for an unhealthy crutch. 

Since you live with your parents they have a say in what you can and can't have in their home. THey told you NO to another pet so you can't have one. 

How are you going to afford a pet or take care of one while in collage? You can't 

• Edwena

You should think more about the dog and less about yourself. College is no place for a dog. Your goal should be to develop yourself to the point that you will have the things it takes to have a dog. Like a house with a yard. Otherwise, you are being cruel to the dog.

If you want an official emotional support dog then that is up to your doctors. But, if you want a dog from a shelter to offer you love and companionship then this is something you can do on your own. You need to first figure out what you need and can do. It is a long process to get an official emotional support dog. It took my friend over 3yrs and she had a lot of health issues that included her needing a wheelchair.

"I'm struggling with my mental health without him and current PTSD symptoms are getting worse" - What does your therapist say or suggest? If you have an official diagnosis of PTSD you should be in weekly therapy.

"I have found an adult rescue dog that fits the ESA roll to the T and she's close by, my mom says no " - You are 20. You don't need your mom's permission. I'm confused about why you need to convince your parents when you are an adult.

I'd say this is a decision you and your therapist/doctors need to make together. Not strangers online.

Source(s): struggled with anxiety, depression and PTSD since my teens
  • *****

What does your treating mental health professional recommend? That's the opinion you should be seeking, NOT that of random internet strangers.