Carson asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How much time should you spend walking puppies?

My puppy is 3 1/2 months old. He’s a small dog only about 3 pounds. I take him out to use the bathroom about 3-5 times a day (he’s still in the potty training process). I don’t actually walk him with a leash or anything yet. I’m starting to let him wear his harness inside and let him play with the leash so he gets comfortable and won’t get scared or overwhelmed when I do start walking him. When I take him out i just let him run around in the yard and on the sidewalk between the house’s next door. I only keep him outside 10 minutes at a time because he still has more booster shots to get and its cold outside and he starts shivering and pawing at the door to go back inside. Is this enough exercise or does he need more? 

• Bort

For that tiny of a dog just simply playing with him on the couch or letting him run around one room inside is plenty of exercise for him once or twice per day.

I'm guessing he is a very tiny breed of dog like a chihuahua or something (since you didn't mention the breed). 3.5lbs at almost 4 months old is an extremely tiny breed of dog. Wrestling with a blanket for a few minutes a few times a day is plenty of a work-out for a dog that small.

The kind of dog it's recommended to run for miles each day and play with often letting them run around large fields are much larger dogs like Huskey's, German Shepherds, Grey Hounds, and bull breeds who are 10 to 20lbs at that age. Much larger dogs.

In general; walk and play with or let him bolt as he wants to on his own until he's tired. A dog will plop down and rest when they're worn out just like any animal would. The more you allow him to use the energy he has...it will build his stamina. The more often you let him run his little nutty show the more stamina he will build, the longer he'll be able to do it.

That is actually a really good thing for him.

You want his stamina to be as high as it can be. The higher his stamina = the healtheir he is (as well as happier) = the longer he will live.

• "How much time should you spend walking puppies?"

When referring to yourself, the proper pronoun is "I" (or "me" or "my", depending grammatically on where it fits into the sentence). When [Carson] says or writes "you" it means the person he is talking or writing to.

At present I (the Kiwi) shouldn't spend ANY time walking puppies. My bìtch is infertile, and I am waiting for a top-quality pup to become available.

As dogs are "puppies" from the moment they are born until the day before they reach 1 year old (I believe that in the USA it is until 1 day before they reach 18 months or even 2 years old - Yanks & Rebs are very fond of being "different" and of altering the meanings of words...), THAT is impossible to answer without YOU telling us the AGE and BREED (or breed mix) of the pup you are thinking of. I assume you realise that the leg-bones develop MUCH quicker in midget dogs than they do in giant dogs, and that carious actions - such as jumping off things - MUST NOT be allowed before the dog's leg-bones are strongly calcified. Twice in the 52 years since my first litter I have had a GSD pup younger than 8 weeks old turn too fast while chasing a litter-mate on well-kept grass lawns and produce a “green-stick fracture” in one of its immature thigh-bones.

• "My puppy is 3 1/2 months old. He’s a small dog only about 3 pounds."

No way is "about" adequate for stating the ACTUAL weight. Most people have either scales for weighing people or scales for weighing food ingredients. So WEIGH him. And TELL us his BREED!

• "I take him out to use the bathroom about 3-5 times a day (he’s still in the potty training process)."

No you DON'T. Stop being prissy!

If you take him to the bathroom it will be to give him a BATH - which I hope you don't intend to do until he is MUCH older.

Dogs are NOT "potty-trained" - their body-shape is wrong for using a potty. A potty is for HUMAN babies & toddlers, not dogs.

If you have had him more than a week YOU should know his "timings" (= HOW LONG AFTER:- #1 waking up; #2 eating or drinking; #3 exercising or playing) for "Wanna piddle.poo" - which you are allowed to call HOUSE-TRAINING.

House-training require you to be RIGHT THERE watching for his signal so that you can pick him up, talk cheerfully to him as you carry him to the designated toilet spot, put him down then stand boringly still & silent until he remembers what he wanted to do, so DOES it. You then IMMEDIATELY praise him (e.g.: '"Rastus went TOILET! Good boy Rastus TOILET!") and reward him (commonly a rub-rub-rub on the croup or between the front legs, but highly-prepared owners can supply a peanut-sized bit of hard cheese or baked liver, a game of Ball-Chase or Tug-o'-War, or even an on-leash off-property exploration walk in a SAFE place with interesting scent-trails. Off property pick places where dogs do NOT run free and do NOT piddle-poo-vomit).

Pups need quiet experience of EVERYTHING before they reach 12 weeks old, but you cannot be sure that their immune system has responded to the CORE vaccinations until 2 weeks after the booster that should be given at 16 weeks old.

• "I don’t actually walk him with a leash or anything yet. I’m starting to let him wear his harness inside and let him play with the leash so he gets comfortable and won’t get scared or overwhelmed when I do start walking him."

You obviously have NO worthwhile experience of dog development and dog training, and didn't even get your pet from a REPUTABLE breeder who is happy for you ring him/her in the evening for advice, nor from a REPUTABLE dog-rescue organisation that also has times each day during which someone is happy to answer questions about the dog they - after inspecting your property + household + time at home - allowed you to have!

As of 2 weeks after the first CORE vaccine (which should have been given at 8 weeks old) he should have been taking on-leash walks almost every fine afternoon. I hope your harness isn't what I THINK it is: https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+harness&client... - especially if it is one of those deliberately-misnamed evil things such as "Gentle Leader" or "Head Halter" that place a strap across the muzzle just in front of the eyes.

The only gear I use (from 10 weeks old to the dog's death) - and that any competent class-instructor will allow - is a light-weight straight-linked slip-chain: https://www.original-herm-sprenger-dog-collars-uni... - known as a "choke chain" by folks who ignorantly put it on the wrong way around. YOU should be holding a flat leash (leather or heavily woven nylon) about 6 feet/2 metres long, with a loop your hand-&-wrist go through, and with a blunt-nosed clip at the other end to connect to one ring of the slip-chain.

The first time I take a pup for an on-leash walk it can take 20 minutes to get past the first 5 houses. But THEN she realises that she can explore anywhere she wants as long as it is a direction that lets her slip-chain stay loose. That happens at 10+ weeks old. Your pup is 14 weeks old - and you should be already booked in to a weekly training class where YOU will be observed in action for about a year starting when Pup is 18-to-22 weeks old.

The function of the slip-chain is NOT to choke it! - it is to let the pup decide how hard to pull. As you will normally only walk, that means that the harder the Pup pulls, the tighter the chain will grip its neck. Pups very quickly learn to move at your speed. After that you can occasionally jog along safe parts of the walk.

• "When I take him out i just let him run around in the yard and on the sidewalk between the house’s next door

NOT off-leash outside your well-fenced property❗️❗️

Anywhere that is NOT safely fenced, YOU must have a CONTROLLING connection with your pet - and that means permanently connected by the leash. Aim to have voice or hand-signal control of your pet inside fenced areas. but only the leash can be trusted outside safely fenced areas.

• "I only keep him outside 10 minutes at a time because he still has more booster shots to get and its cold outside and he starts shivering and pawing at the door to go back inside. Is this enough exercise or does he need more? "

Obviously where YOU live, Xmas is NOT a sensible time to get a pup!

Strictly speaking, it is the WORST time to get a pup in any nation where people celebrate Christmas, but ESPECIALLY so while there is ice and/or snow.

Xmas is summer where I live - but because people spend so much time visiting or being visited by friends and relatives, even here I decline to let people have a pup before the Xmas "visiting" is well-&-truly over and people can CONCENTRATE on their pup's needs & signals & "timings".

As you already HAVE this pup, much of his exercise is going to have to be INSIDE your house, or you are going to have to supply him with a warm coat and warm boots (neither of which he will enjoy having inflicted on him) so that you can take him to places safe for him to explore the scent trails of. So-called "dog parks" are only rarely SAFE, thanks to idiot owners who let their uncontrollable untrained mutts run amok.

Provided it is light exercise and FUN, a pup can enjoy rather a lot of exercise, but when it prefers to rest it must be allowed to do so

The pups I retain pass 19 houses and cross 2 side-roads on the first few walks - if I'm lucky, a bus or truck thunders up the hill we are walking up - I quietly let the pup sit and watch it pass on the other side of the road and, when the noisy vehicle has passed us, Pup decides its time to continue exploring. I then let the pup lie under a wooden seat at the start of the shopping centre, watching pedestrians & cars pass by. We are pribably away from home for about an hour - longer when I drive her to a beach area or park.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

He should not be exposed to other dogs (or where they piddle) until he has had all of rounds of puppy shots (several months). If you are walking him in a relatively clean area, a few blocks should be sufficient.

• Aged Kiwi
      1 month agoReport

Totally WRONG! Pups need LOTS of exposure in safe areas, beginning 2 weeks after the first CORE vaccination that shoild be given at 8 weeks old.

Here are two links on the exercise needs of puppies:  The second one suggests 15 min up to TWICE a day for a 3 mo old.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/puppies-h...

https://www.caninejournal.com/how-much-exercise-do...

Mental stimulation and socialization at this age..... are ALSO important.

He’ll let you know. When he wants to go inside then that’s enough. 

ask your dog, they are the boss now

• Aged Kiwi
      1 month agoReport

GEEZ I hope no-one is stupid enough to let YOU have a dog!

i should spend absolutely no time walking puppies

you may have all my puppy walking time

• Aged Kiwi
      1 month agoReport

GEEZ I hope no-one is stupid enough to let YOU have a dog! Stick to your "war-games".