Unique asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why do people call others stupid and “retarded”?

I strongly dislike when people use the word “stupid” when someone has a difficult time figuring something out or doesn’t understand something. Just because someone doesn’t understand something, doesn’t mean they are stupid. Calling someone “retarded” or “stupid” when they aren’t diagnosed with mental retardation reflects poorly on the person who said that. I wish people could understand that it’s not OKAY and is offensive to those who have Mental Retardation. 

• amy

because some people say or do frustratingly stupid/retarded things. Then again I was tested and cursed with a high IQ this frustration will follow me for the rest of my life. The is especially common online. And more so with Americans perhaps their broken education system that they clearly are awar of but dont care in the slightest. example "only in America".

I hate you, you contented, successful wonderful human being!!!

Doesn't get the same catharsis as "you worthless, idiot, piece of crap!"

We tend to refer to people as lesser than us if we feel lesser than them. It's a social power play. The cliche is school bullies pick on weaker kids because if they did pick on someone their own size, they would be proven as weak themselves. So where the secure outcome is "proof" of being big and tough, they seek out abuse of smaller or less socially powerful peers. That's why when we feel threatened we use belittling language. The most obvious example is when people act like school yard bullies towards Trump. Not to make any declarations for or against him, it's painfully obvious that kids who have been told they are powerful and independent and rule the world are coming to see it's not true, embodied in Trump or more subtle figures in their daily lives. And so those figures become judged by them as "garbage, crap, stupid" etc. It's how they dismiss their own feelings of inadequacy by declaring the judge of their shortcoming as inadequate themselves.

A possibly clearer example; if your scale said you were 250lbs and thus obese, you might say it were broken to not have to internalize the fact you are obese. The person who doesn't recognize how cool I am is a stupid idiot. He doesn't even know what cool is, therefore, I am able to choose to remain thinking I am so cool.

Don’t you know that all the people who do that will not be doing it for all the same reasons and at the same time under the same circumstances?..

Everyone is different..ask them

Yes, I agree it isn't right to call someone stupid in a situation that is actually related to intelligence but most of the time people mean no harm by it.

"retarded" I agree is wrong.  Stupid might be insulting but that's probably the reason it is being used.  Dumb as a rock (or stump) works too.  Because sometimes people are just really..... dumb as rocks.

Kids do that. Adults, grown, mature adults don't do that.

Some people are jerks but that's to bad. Nobody particularly cares if this bothers you, you are just going to have to live with it happening.