Jarvis asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

Animals like birds, rats and domestic rabbits require company of their own kind when kept as pets. Does the owner get completely ignored?

It depends on the animal. Most rats will bond with people even if they are in a pair or group. Rabbits are different. Whether alone or in a pair/group they tend to ignore people. I don't know a ton about birds but I think things like finches don't bond with people at all unless hand raised while birds like parrots will bond with people. 

I guess the point is certain species will bond with you while other wont whether or not they are with other animals does not matter. 

This is why you need to get them young and get them out and socialized. I never had a problem with bonding to my younger rats, and they were bonded with each other. I would stick my hand in and both would climb up at the same time, usually. If they are ignored early on, they will learn to ignore you. If you keep them out a lot, both at the same time, you will not be ignored. Easy as that.

Some bird owners have their birds peck their peckers