Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 month ago

Is pots (Postural tachycardia syndrome) a heart condition ?

Hello, I’ve recently just turned 20 and I have recently been told by the Cardiology Consultant that he is convinced that I have pots (Postural tachycardia syndrome) I’ve been put down on the emergency list so now I’m just waiting to be seen by the arrhythmia clinic to have a echocardiogram and other tests. I have been told little about Postural tachycardia syndrome and I was wondering if anyone can help explain to me what pots actually is. I have autism so I find searching these things up quite difficult as processing and retaining information is really hard for me. Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me if pots is a heart condition- I’ve been reading about it a little and I’ve read that it has something to do with the nervous system? I would really appreciate if anyone could help, thank you very much. 

Favorite Answer

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome or POTS, is not a diagnosis per say.. it is a condition associated with a wide range of illnesses.. Postural (posture-related whether you are standing, sitting, laying on the bed or on your side, etc) + Orthostatic (changes or movement) + Tachy- (fast) + cardia (heart) + syndrome (a collection of signs and symptoms often far located from different parts of the body) = a syndrome that results in and fast heart beats > 120 beats a minute and caused by changes in the posture..

this condition can be triggered by a sick part of the brain, it can be caused by a heart problem (like a sick heart muscle or damaged heart walls), it can be caused by faulty wiring between the brain and the heart (a disease in the neuropathways).. it can be caused by a cancer, or a decreased production of blood from the bone marrow.. the main issue is that doctors have detected POTS and they have a major task of finding out what causes POTS.. the actual diagnosis..

i do not expect you to understand the medical jargon on the internet about POTS; because medical students spend months and years trying to understand the language used in those websites.. suffice to know, that the heart's main function is to draw blood from all over the body, send it to the lungs so it can release CO2 and takes on oxygen, before it is sent back to the heart to be pumped out to all over the body - most importantly to the brain (which it sits very high when we are standing on our legs)..

this long story often summed-up as the heart must produce enough blood pressure and volume, to pump the blood all the way to the brain; like pumping water to the the very top of a building.. if the brain does not receive enough blood pressure and volume, it receives less oxygen -- as if someone is strangling you with his hands or with a pillow.. at first, you'd have lightheadedness, trouble thinking, blurred vision or weakness.. but then it may proceed to blackouts and fainting-spells..

POTS happens when the volume of the blood delivered to the brain is decreasing  because of changing posture (usually from laying down to standing up).. for some reason, the heart is unable to deliver enough blood fast enough when the height changes - the same way that water is much easier to pumped up to the 2nd or 3rd floor, but it is much harder to pump enough water to the 10th floor..

the cause is often blamed on the heart as it fails to pump enough blood to top stairs to the brain, but POTS can be triggered by a number of things and from every part of that long story that i told earlier: the lungs, the liver, the bone marrow, the brain etc etc.. the failure could be caused by failing city water pumps, by poor city plans, by seasonal dried rivers, low ground-water levels and months of droughts, by leaking pipes, or by an explosion or an act of sabotage to city services etc etc..

another related condition is Orthostatic Hypotension (movement related + low blood pressure).. it is when your posture causes the blood pressure to drop.. in POTS when such symptoms happen, the heart compensate by pumping blood harder and faster.. but in Orthostatic Hypotension the response or the correction is much slower, and it can cross-paths with POTS, but these 2 conditions are not the same thing..

be patient as your doctor(s) investigate what really is causing your POTS.. and all the best..

• Earthchild1 month agoReport

Thank you so much, this was very helpful!

Sometimes when u masturbate, your heart races

• Earthchild1 month agoReport

Wow this is so mature. You should be ashamed.