Veschengro asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why would a healthy well fed dog; rip off a small piece of ginger root and eat it.?

I checked out ginger online and its not toxic to dogs. I ask because ive never seen a dog eat ginger root in my life before.

The dog concerned is a fresh caught raw feeder and after taking her for a normal vets check, on passing a store she ripped of the ginger from a greengrocer displaying his ware outside. Frankly i was astounded.  She was on leash and grabbed the ginger on passing; i called the owner and duly paid the man for his ginger also.

This also is NOT my question.

So the appropriate action has been taken...... Why would I even think of using the words " rip off " anyway....?......Me being completely none American.

• Elaine

I had a dog who ate an entire loaf of whole wheat bread at one go.  The dog even tried cardboard .  Who knows why dogs eat the strangest things? Think of a dog having the mental age of a 2 year old.  Anything and everything will go into their mouths.  

No reason other than the dog wanted to try it. Dogs just eat weird things because they can. There was a great dane that had 44 socks removed from its stomach. After each sock the dog was like yeah I liked that and ate another. 

I can't imagine a dog eating ginger. Have you tasted it? It is hot like chili & burns the mouth.

Because many dog will just chew/eat things that appeal to them.  But you're right.  It's not toxic so no worry's there.  In fact, ginger is soothing to the stomach, and is also sometimes recommended for that including with dogs that get car sick, for example.

• Veschengro
      1 month agoReport

tis is no question of mine neither was that comment concerning dogs have two stomachs

Dogs will beg for and eat all sorts of things, regardless of being full or not. They are opportunistic; that doesn't change because they are domesticated. My dog will beg for food right after he's been fed dinner. We never give him any EVER, but there he is, sniffing hopefully and thinking he'll get some. We have to keep everything out of reach because he will jump up and try. Silly puppers :) 

Dogs will eat pretty much anything.