Where should I visit on campus?

I’m going on a college visit tomorrow but’s not an official visit with a tour guide. I’ve also never gone on a tour of the school before. This is the school I’ve committed to and I didn’t have the privilege of looking at it before I committed. Due to financial struggles, this was the best school for me.

We’re gonna be walking around campus tomorrow. I wanted to make my own guide for where to visit on campus. 

For reference: I’m going to Central Michigan University

So far I have:

- The 4 dorms I could get put in from when I filled out my housing

- Library

- Book store

- Down town

Any other places I should visit?

just learn your way around ... lunch room, library, restrooms....

Admissions office to talk to a first contact person and possibly an academic advisor..You cam call or email admissions before you get there The departments or schools that offer the degree program you ate interested in or might want to major in. Talk to faculty members. Faculty do not bite, although they can have bad hair days just like you do. I was a university faculty dependent, but my father taught graduate students.

Downtown is not part of the campus

.

.

.

• Cu Tie

You should visit the athletic facilities, especially the football field and basketball arena.

• drip

You are not getting into any dorms by yourself. They are locked and only students who live in that particular dorm can get in.

Make sure to go to the student center and eat in one for the dining areas.

You should of called ahead of time and arranged a tour.

look for study areas in those dorms [not that you will get any choice]. ask random students where and when they study -- what are good places to do that? Then ask them where they socialize. At the [or any] bookstore, glance through the texts for classes that you might be interested in taking. And then, in the library, see if you can browse the stacks in the areas whose subject matter interests you.

after that, you might consider recreational opportunities. [I took swimming at university, never having been formally trained before that -- turned out that my backyard and lake self taught swimming made me a star in that class.]

And check the amount of time it takes you to walk from random freshman dorm to likely classroom buildings ... good thing you're going in the cold months -- that's when the walk is worst.

Source(s): grampa
  • MS

It will be better for you to arrange an official tour, and you can often still do that at the last minute.  But you will not likely be able to access certain areas, such as dorms and rec centers, without a university escort.  You can see the outside, but not inside of those types of buildings.  I'd visit the student center, the library, any available rec center, dining facilities, and the main administration building where things like financial aid, the bursar, and the registrar are likely located.  

Please consider stopping by the admissions office. Even if you aren't on an official tour, they might have someone who could give you a tour the would allow you into classrooms and dorms. You probably will not be able to get inside these building without an escort as most campuses now have these locked with card key access. You can still spend time on your own too. 

It's a good idea to look at some of the classroom buildings. Get the lay of the land.  Where are the science classrooms and labs?  Where are the eating halls?  How far is the walk from the dorm you might be in to the classroom buildings?  Is there a food hall/cafeteria in the dorms?  If you know what you are going to major in, check out that area whether it is the music department or the physics department.  If you're interested in Greek life, check out where the fraternity and sorority houses are located.  If you're interested in sports (playing or watching) check out the stadium, where the soccer pitch is, etc.  Also, check out the students.  What are they wearing? Where are they hanging out?