Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 month ago

If I become an accountant can I work part time for myself?

I am an engineer right now and I feel like a slave working over 40 hours every week.  I don’t need much to support myself like 25 to 30k.  

Yes, complete a certified accountant test, then you are qualified to accept some part time job at home, like doing taxation filing service.

I worry that you'll accounting arithmetic boring and trivial, compared to engineering mathematics. Why not become a free-lance engineering consultant?

Many people do that.  It is harder than it seems though.  You do have to sell your services and time spent selling is not spent doing the services, and there are all of the administrative things that have to be done by someone, presumably you, yourself.  I am more or less in that situation now as part of my early "retirement", so sure, it can be done and many people do it.  I know some accountants in that precise situation.

You do not have to work as an employee for someone else, but most people end up working "for" others just the same.  They just have a more direct link to client and payment.  There is value in cutting out the middle man, if you can.

It is not for everyone, or I should say, not everyone is good at it.

• Dixon

Yes. However, you would have to retrain. I would be inclined to give contracting a go first. You still have 40 hour weeks while you work but you earn enough in a year to take half the year off. Depends on your field tho.