Is it safe to keep using the power point after fan switches turn on light?

So for some reason, whenever any fan gets turned on or off in the house (with their own dial) it either turns on or off my touch lamp. Just moved into an older house, and this is something that will be fixed. I’m not sure if it’s just the PowerPoint it’s plugged into now that’s doing it or if any plug will trigger the lamp. Is it safe to keep using the power point with the lamp? Or should I wait until it is fixed?

The vibration is triggering the touch lamp. If anything is unsafe, it it the lamp.

the worst that can happen with the lamp is the unit that makes it touch sensitive can burn out. it costs under 10 at the home improvement or hardware and is a DIY fix. since it hasn't died yet, I'd assume it isn't likely to and continue using it

Source(s): granddad

Touch lamps are known to act weird.

I hate the stupid things and will not have one.

My first guess is that the fans were not installed by a professional electrician and that they were not wired properly. Perhaps the hot a neutral wires are swapped or the ground is not properly attached. The power outlet for the lamp may be on the same circuit as the fans. The opposite may also be true and the outlet not wired properly, especially if it is a very old house.

If your house is very old you may want to consider having an electrician inspect it. I have seen old houses that did not properly wire fixtures and outlet, often because some of them wired by non-professionals.

• STEVEN F
      1 month agoReport

You are looking at the WRONG source for problems.