I got a speeding ticket, 44 in a 25 school zone. It was my first ticket and truthfully I wasn't paying attention. I have learned my lesson. ?

I live in Oklahoma if that helps. I was told to see the judge, but I do admit guilt. I was told to see, because it is my first so they might be able to dismiss it, or I take a defensive driving class. Truthfully I am nervous I don't like to be in trouble. I just don't want my insurance to take a hit because I am 18 and I pay my own bills.

Favorite Answer

Just go in to see the judge and tell them you didn't realize you were going that fast.  In the courts I've seen there are 100 people before you and 100 people after you and they all tell the judge they are sorry and it was a mistake, blah blah blah; and the judge reduces the ticket and they go on their way. Sometimes the judge might dismiss the ticket but usually only if they were a little bit over the limit, or if the policeman who gave them the ticket doesn't even show up.

• Do you think since it is the first one they might offer defensive driving course? So maybe it wouldn't affect my rates ?

Someone LIED. There is NO WAY a citation for 19 mph over the limit in a school zone will be dismissed. In MOST jurisdictions, the judge isn't even allowed to reduce the fine. Taking a defensive driving class MAY block the points from counting against you for the purpose of your license being suspended for points. It DOES NOT reduce the fine OF keep the citation off your record.

Your insurance HAS taken a hit, and you HAVE NOT learned your lesson.

• TedEx

I don;'t  know about your state, but in Pennsylvania you don't get off with a slap of the wrist for a school zone violation. Good luck. you are going to need kit

• Nancy

To get before a judge, you have to sign saying you're not guilty. If you show up in court and say you're guilty, the judge is going to find you guilty and be miffed that you wasted the court's time.

Now, what some people do is sign saying they're not guilty and then go to court hoping the officer doesn't show. If that happens, all you have to do is say you're not guilty and the judge has to rule in your favor because the prosecution's only witness failed to appear. But if you see the officer in court and your plan is to just say you're guilty, you may as well not sit there and wait but just go outside to the clerk and pay the ticket.

As for that last bit, there are programs in some states and jurisdictions where you can have a ticket not show up on your driving record by taking a remedial driving class, or what is commonly referred to as "traffic school." You can find out if that is an option for you by calling or going down to where it says on the ticket by the date it says.

• STEVEN F
      1 month agoReport

There are ZERO jurisdictions where you EVER have to sign anything claiming you are NOT guilty. In fact, if you sign anything about guilt, it is an ADMISSION of guilt that include waiving your right to see  judge.

Your insurance will be hit, and you'll have points added to your license.  If you're truly unlucky then the judge may be running for something come election time, in which case they'll come down on you for media exposure... aka. "This guy's trying to kill kids, so look how tough I am on them!"