Yankees2017 asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

What’s in catnip that makes cats so addicted?

One time, I was at my friend’s house playing with his cats. I picked up a catnip mouse on a stick, waving it in their faces and they were practically hypnotized LOL!

It's like humans and crack

• patty

its a drug...…………………..

Catnip is highly addictive. My old cat had a big problem with catnip before she died. She was whoring herself out to strange cats for an ounce of catnip. Eventually she got feline AIDS from a black stray cat and died. 

• Ocimom

It was not the catnip - it was the fact you were dangling something on a stick in front of them - they would have reacted the same for anything else on the stick (feathers, mouse, etc.)  Catnip is an herb that SOME cats react to strongly.  Not all cats do.  I currently have no cats that really care about catnip but would gladly attack anthing on a string.

• Maxi

The chemical compound in the plant that attracts and affects cats is called nepetalactone. It is found in the leaves and stems. ... When a cat eats catnip, it acts as a sedative, but when smelled, it causes the cat to go crazy. It is thought to mimic feline pheremones and trigger those receptors.

My cat is not interested at all in capnip.

I have the same problem with tuna,my cat's harassing me many times a day till I feed her tuna.I think it's the chemicals in these things.

It's a plant a bit like mint but with blue flowers. We sometimes buy the plant at a garden centre and the cats go crazy for it! They tear off the leaves and eat them whole. We have to keep it in a hidden place and bring it out once a day or they will destroy the whole thing in one go!

The chemicals in the plant is what attracts cats. They smell it and they like it. My house cat was "addicted" at first but after a while, he lost interest. The chemical is similar to phermones or chemicals that are emitted to attract the opposite gender.

• Mark

I don't think they are addicted"  One never hears of a cat having the "jones" for catnip, but apparently, there that get especially male cats all het up about it... I suppose it's like marijuana to cats. There is something in it (and even humans can smell it)