promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Yankees2017 asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

What’s in catnip that makes cats so addicted?

One time, I was at my friend’s house playing with his cats. I picked up a catnip mouse on a stick, waving it in their faces and they were practically hypnotized LOL!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It's like humans and crack

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • patty
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

its a drug...…………………..

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Catnip is highly addictive. My old cat had a big problem with catnip before she died. She was whoring herself out to strange cats for an ounce of catnip. Eventually she got feline AIDS from a black stray cat and died. 

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It was not the catnip - it was the fact you were dangling something on a stick in front of them - they would have reacted the same for anything else on the stick (feathers, mouse, etc.)  Catnip is an herb that SOME cats react to strongly.  Not all cats do.  I currently have no cats that really care about catnip but would gladly attack anthing on a string.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The chemical compound in the plant that attracts and affects cats is called nepetalactone. It is found in the leaves and stems. ... When a cat eats catnip, it acts as a sedative, but when smelled, it causes the cat to go crazy. It is thought to mimic feline pheremones and trigger those receptors.

My cat is not interested at all in capnip.

• 2 months ago

I have the same problem with tuna,my cat's harassing me many times a day till I feed her tuna.I think it's the chemicals in these things.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's a plant a bit like mint but with blue flowers. We sometimes buy the plant at a garden centre and the cats go crazy for it! They tear off the leaves and eat them whole. We have to keep it in a hidden place and bring it out once a day or they will destroy the whole thing in one go!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The chemicals in the plant is what attracts cats. They smell it and they like it. My house cat was "addicted" at first but after a while, he lost interest. The chemical is similar to phermones or chemicals that are emitted to attract the opposite gender.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't think they are addicted"  One never hears of a cat having the "jones" for catnip, but apparently, there that get especially male cats all het up about it... I suppose it's like marijuana to cats. There is something in it (and even humans can smell it)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.