promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Can a cat still be considered "healthy" with hyperthyroidism, and kidney disease, if they are both being successfully treated?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

well, successful treatment for hyperthyroidism can include radioactive iodine--a cure...and the kidney disease could be very slight and managed well....so it is possible call such a cat healthy.  But if the hypert isn't cured and the kidney disease is advanced I would not call that cat healthy--although they might be well managed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  The cat has medical problems, so obviously its not as healthy as a cat that doesn't have those problems.  You can control some things with medication, but the cat will eventually get sicker and need to be put down.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not really because they have a medical condition. But as long as you are keeping it monitored with your vet giving treatment water food exercise and love you are doing the best you can do and they are the best cat they can be.

• patty
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

a friend has a cat with the same problems. they are both cared for by medicine and the right food. he is fine but on the thin side

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would certainly not consider a cat with serious chronic medical conditions to be healthy. Particularly, kidney disease is progressive and will continue to worsen over time, even with quite aggressive treatment. The best that can be hoped for is to slow down the progression.

• 1 month ago

Nope. It is a chronically ill cat responding well to treatment.

• 1 month ago

I wouldn't say the cat is healthy but I can say that is the cat responds to treatment it can still live a normal life. My brother had a cat with both of those and he did great with treatment. He made it to 16 and then he had to be put down because he got cancer. The kidney disease and hyperthyroid didn't really cause him any problems. 

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nope.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nope. I would not describe any animal with those conditions as healthy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.