Job Hunt: I never get past the phone interview! Please help.?

So far I ve had about 4-5 phone interviews and not once did I get to the in-person interview round. What am I doing wrong?

I understand I am a new grad and generally a weaker candidate but I have good indirect but relevant experience. I also have some good accomplishments where I solved great issues at the places I ve worked.

Major: Health Information Management

Jobs: Payment accuracy specialist, Inventory manager (dealing with data analysis), medical records manager, Electronic health record data analysis

Location: local (willing to relocate)

1. The recruiters were the one who reached out to me, so I think I did pass minimum qualifications.

2. Education is relevant

3. I have 3 years healthcare experience as a massage therapist at a chiropractic office and 4 months of internship in school.

• :)

I am a (soon to be) new grad nurse also going through the application process/watching my friends go through it. This is a very stressful yet exciting time of year.

I have interviewed at 3 places total, and I think I’m going to stop now. My very first place rejected me, my second place has already extended an offer, and my third place is pending but it’s headed in a good direction and I’m 90% sure it’ll turn into an offer.

Seeing you list all your relevant experience resonates with me; particularly with my one rejection. I can relate to being qualified, and still being told no. I have a 3.75 which is very hard to get in nursing, I did externships in the EXACT units I interviewed for, and I had other great jobs/extra curricular activities. I’m also VERY well spoken and had very relevant stories to discuss (when asked) that proved my experience. It hurts to be rejected!

But I took one lesson from that interview, and that was that your resume can’t do all the speaking. You need to have personality, and you need have good interview answers. You need to tell them what they want to hear, even if it’s not completely true. It sounds awful, but that’s what I learned after talking to a girl that had similar grades/experience to me, but SHE got the job, and not me. When they ask for your 5 year plan, make sure it involves working your way up the ladder at that company, for example. When they ask you to list your weaknesses, make sure they’re strengths in disguise (ie: being hard on yourself because you seek perfection). 

I would google common health management interview questions and draft your answers to them. I would also look up the company’s vision statement and mission statement, try to familiarize yourself with it, and interpret it. See how you can incorporate those into your interview. I would look up any awards/distinction that the company achieved, and find a way to mention it; almost like kissing their ***ès, but hey! Gotta do what you gotta do. 

That’s my two cents. I don’t know much about health management and how the interviews work. I just know that no matter how good of a student you are and no matter how much experience you have, you still have to interview like you DONT have it in the bag; aka, prepare heavily. All of the advice I gave you is what I did for my second and third interviews that I DIDNT do for my first interview(which is the one I got the rejection from).

How do you present yourself in these interviews? Are you articulate? Succinct? Do you ramble, use slang, say “you know” frequently? Do you sound confident or over anxious? No way to really answer as you don’t give much info.

Are you writing thank you notes to your interviewers?  Are you following up with them or waiting around for them to call you?  Maybe you aren't being proactive like you need to be.  It could be simply because you are answering their questions wrong.  Try to remember what was asked and think of how you could have improved the answer you gave.  Write yourself notes to refer to at the next opportunity so that you won't repeat your mistakes.  Don't forget to enunciate.

The other reason you might be getting skipped is because you lied on your resume.  Often companies don't verify resume's until after the initial contact and once your bs is discovered, you get tossed.  I am not calling you a liar, just pointing out a common possibility.

• linkus86

internal job postings.  Being proactive means to make things happen rather than waiting for them to happen.  And doing so may take you out of your comfort zone, making contact with those you don't know and keeping that contact.  But its necessary to reach your goal.

What is your major (education level)??  What jobs are you applying to??  Are you looking locally, or nationwide??  Are you here in the states, or across the pond??  

You haven't given us much to work with here.  

• Phil2 months agoReport

Major: Health Information Management

Location: local (willing to relocate)
      And btw for all these the recruiter reached out to me.

• A

Really need more information: 1. Do you possess the minimum qualifications they list on the job?   2. Is your education relevant to the job? 3.  Do you have any experience that applies to the job ?

• Phil2 months agoReport

2. Education is relevant
      3. I graduated in Health Information Management. I have 3 years healthcare experience as a massage therapist at a chiropractice office and 4 months of internship in school.

maybe you should call those places up and ask them what you did wrong