kk asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

Why is he not eating ?

My new betta isn’t eating. I’ve had him for about a week and have tried to give him bloodworms. He hasn’t eaten since I got him.  The tank temperature is 60. I’m very worried about him. Please help! 

Please help. It’s been 3 weeks and he is still not eating. 

Favorite Answer

Bettas need a heated tank, they like it hotter then even the average tropical fish, a temperature of 78-82 would be ok.

Get an adjustable thermometer, start it on the lowest possible setting, and turn it up the smallest amount you can, every 6 hours or more, so that you dont shock him.  

• Raven

Obviously you did zero research before buying a betta. Do the right thing, buy a tank heater! A lamp is NOT going to work. Plus, you shut it off at night (I hope you do this, fish need a dark period to sleep just like we do) and the water loses what little heat it gained from the lamp. If you don't want to meet the requirements the fish requires to thrive, then you should bring it back to the pet store. It is cruel otherwise.

• kk1 month agoReport

I have had Berta’s before and this is the first time I’ve seen this. I have a heater and dont have a lamp or a light. Maybe you should try finding more out about a situation before judging. I have done everything I can. 

• *****

That's far too cold for a Betta. You need a heater in the tank. Temperature should be within a couple degrees of 80F. Putting it under a lamp isn't going to cut it.

• *****
      1 month agoReport

It was near the time I posted this? Clearly, since I saw it. In any case, you have given nothing to even speculate about besides the temperature. What are the values of your most recent water test (and when). When was the last partial water change? How large is the tank and what kind of filtration?

maybe you should take him to the vet

• kk1 month agoReport

How might I do that