Would I remain a California resident?

I've spent my entire life in California, and intend on attending a UC (ideally with in-state tuition). However, I may have to move to a different state for 1-2 years to live my parents. I would be working, and going to school in that other state during that time. Would I no longer qualify as a California resident?

You will not remain a resident as you will move out of california. You are a resident for the place where you stay for 1 year, when you are trying to apply for residency. 

Source(s): I am a student at UCLA, and I am paying out of state fees.

i would ask immigration or your school about it

If you’re living with your parents in another state, you’re no longer a CA resident after 1 year. P

Your state of residence is where your snail mails go. 

True. You would lose California residency, eligibility for in-state tuition, as soon as you (and/or your parents) move out of the state, take any job out of the state.

To become eligible for in-state tuition subsidies in another state, you & your parents would have to reside, work, & pay state taxes in that state for a minimum of 1-2 years (requirements vary by state) before entering college.

If you move out of state and don't return for a full year, in most cases you would not remain a CA resident. There are some ways around this, so you are going to have to research that through the UC system and even specifically the UC you want to attend.

Correct. You would no longer qualify as a Cali resident. Do you have a relative that would allow you to live with them in California so you can stay to qualify? If your parents are relocating permanently though and there is a possibility that you may have to move and live there after college, it's best to go there for college so that you can make new friends there. You can always move back to cali after college but your grades and your W-2s need to be from Cali for the year you apply and when you submit your senior grades or you are considered out of state. 

• My parents moved to Nevada 3 months ago. I've been living with some friends and working full-time to pay rent. It's not too bad of a financial situation, but I am trying to get more information to know if I'm spinning my wheels for nothing. 

i would ask your school this question

• drip

Read requirements to meet in state eligibility.  Usually you need to be living in the state for a year before attending.

In some cases, depending on your age, your parents may need to live in the state