promotion image of download ymail app
Andy asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 2 months ago

What’s the Little Cylinder on Aux to RCA Converters? ?

My RCA to aux converter has been on the fritz and i think a wire became disconnected either before or after this little fuse looking cylinder. Can I bypass the fuse and solder a new aux jack on before the cylinder or is it a vital part of a circuit? The RCA cables are running into a RCA stereo plugged into two JBL speakers. 

Attachment image

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    That's a ferrite torus that the wire loops into to prevent induced noise, Sure, you can snip it off and connect another TRS plug onto the wire. It will work the same as long as you don't have a messy AM source such as a sparking electric motor near it. If it turns out noisy, use it on some other application and buy another adapter cable. Usually though, the cylinder unsnaps so it can be folded open and you can loop your wire through the ferrite at an undamaged point, pull enough wire though, and replace the TRS plug so the cable is the same as before, though a little shorter.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    That's not a fuse that's a line filter to reduce AC noise

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Get a new converter.  It is $3 in Amazon.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.