Any ways in which my PC can be upgraded? It s an Inspiron 3656.?

Looking to upgrade my PC rather than buy a completely new one but, uncertain what it can handle. It already works for most of my gaming needs but I know that won t be forever! So, just looking to see what I could upgrade, if I wanted to, and with what would work for it w/o melting it lmao.

Any ways in which my PC can be upgraded? It's an Inspiron 3656.

• A.J.
    Favorite Answer

Sorry for the bad news, but I did an assessment pending more information from you.

What detailed specifications or full model number? What are you trying to use it to do?

Some of them were sold with laptop CPU FX-8800P and others with laptop A10-8700P CPU both are motherboard soldered or possibly on a custom module in a socket. This is something like a cross between a laptop and a mini-tower. It as a small internal power supply, either custom or TFX size of low wattage output.

One M.2 card slot for Wi‑Fi and Bluetooth combo cardPCIe• One PCIe x1 half‑length full‑height slot• One PCIe x16 full‑length full‑height slot

Integrated or fairly low end discrete graphics cards.

Looks like One SATA II and One SATA III both in use.

sd card slot

The 15 watt CPU has a custom cpu cooler, really low end.

I see some motherboards sold missing extra DIMM sockets and missing the PCIe x 16 graphics card slot.

Power supply can be 180W or 240W, both really low end with a custom cable to the motherboard.

CPUs

FX-8800P scores 4204, and A10-8700P 3435

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

This was a mistake to buy as a desktop-tower PC.

This is a US$150 used PC

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-9010-business...

Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz Processor8GB DDR3 Memory500GB Hard Disk DriveWindows 10 Home x64Mini Tower Form Factor (MT)The i5-3570 scores 7145. It already has 8GB ram, even if slower. The HDD is old and only 500GB, and no wifi, but overall, this is a better PC than yours.

In your PC,

You can probably add or replace the ram, carefully chosen, and maybe add a very low power graphics card, but your cpu is not upgradable, and you can replace an hdd with ssd in the same way as a laptop by using a USB external SATA-USB with an SSD inside, and clone and swap.

There are ways to use an external power supply to add a strong graphics card, but to go through all the trouble with a weak cpu and all the cost and trouble of a $150 maximum value PC is just not worth it.

Again, need your exact model information and what you are trying to improve.

It can never be a great PC, and really not worth upgrading considering its value.

You can probably get more for it on ebay than it's actually worth.

• A.J.
      1 month agoReport

Here they took an old server CPU 9504 score, upgraded the power supply, added a strong graphics card, used a low storage solid state drive. Price $507. You would look to do similar or buy lower end. https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-1WB29?Item=9SIAC0F8154398

• not at all in my opinion

Friend you're talking about a computer which is worth $179. And has a 1.8 gigahertz processor this is a slow powerless computer you can go on eBay right now and get a far better computer with 3 * the power for $200

• Lv 7

depends on what parts it currently has, since that model had several configuration options.

but the FX chip has not been viable for a while now.

you should seriously consider an SSD drive to replace your C: drive.

beyond that, whatever the fastest RAM & CPU it can support. if you don't have a GPU, get a newer Radeon RX. whatever you can afford.

Short of dropping a new processor in it, I don't think there's much you can do.  Computers only last 4 - 5 years anyway.  Unless you want to keep fixing the old clunker, seems like you'd just be better off buying a new one.  

I do have an old Dell Inspiron laptop (from 2008), but it's mostly my backup now-a-days.