leeceve asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Carry on suitcase 1 inch over limit?

I recently bought a carry on suitcase without checking the dimensions and I only just measured it and found it to be 1 inch over the limit on each side. I'm travelling from Calgary to Tampa in a couple weeks through United Airlines. The YYC airport is fairly large, and the plane is a Boeing 737 800- nothing huge, but not small either. Is it likely that I'll have to check it or will they let it slide?

Rules are rules for a reason.  Find another suitcase, the proper size, or use this one and check it in.

• W

United Airlines is likely to enforce it. Try it but be prepared to have it checked and don't act like a fathead if they insist. 

DOES IT FIT.

The magic words. All depends how many other passengers cram their bags in before you. Everyone tries to cheat. It adds up.

They can let it pass if they WANT TO. They can also measure and charge the extra fees.

When the bins are full they are full.

You MIGHT get away with it. Just be prepared if caught to pay the extra fees.

No airline has ever actually measured my carry on bag.  No major airline has weighed my carry on bag in decades. 

Can you return/exchange it?

If you are like most people that only bring carry on, you will probably stuff it to bulging and if its a soft sided bage, it may or may not fit in the bag checker at the gate.  You may have to gate check it which is no big deal if you have a non-stop flight.  I wouldn't do it if you have a connection somewhere, though

• leeceve
      1 month agoReport

I have two layovers, so I would really like to avoid checking a bag. Unfortunately I've already used this suitcase so I can't return it.

• MS

Again, no one here can tell you for sure.  This varies even by individual gate agent - some are super strict and some are not.  If your plane isn't full, then you'll have a better chance of getting it by; if your plane is packed, then they might be more likely to check it.  There's a good chance you'll be fine.  But there's still a chance that you'll have to check it at the last minute, and that you might have to pay to do it.  I fly often and I've had my bag measured a number of times, while others will tell you that their bags are never measured.  It's just unpredictable.

• JuanB

The check in dimensions is frequently what fits snugly in the overhead bins.  They are more likely to let it slide if you stow it under the seat in front of you and have no leg room.  Or if the bins are half empty.  But if the bins are jammed pack and your bag is up there sideways and taking the space of 3 bags (yes for only being a inch larger) then they are more likely to make you check it.

• L

If the carry-on has hard sides and the gate staff sees that it will not fit in the "measurement test" frame (typically located at each gate), they will require you to check it.

If the carry-on has soft sides it may compress enough to fit in the measurement test frame at the gate and you can carry it on-board.