Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Fake insurance cards. My niece plans on taking a fake insurance card to the dmv to register her car. She is hard headed. Will she get caught?

She likely would just get turned away.

Since you totally forgot to say which DMV, the answer is maybe and that's final.  There are no international laws governing DMV offices and insurance verification, just so you know.

In some jurisdictions, especially ones with mandatory insurance reporting, she'd be busted in two seconds.  In others, the DMV doesn't really care and just takes everyone's word for it.

Forget the DMV, though.  The worst thing they'll probably do is refuse to issue a registration.  Your niece will get busted for sure if she gives false ID to a cop, because that's against the law everywhere.  Cops in every state and province can verify (or bust) an insurance ID instantly, twenty-four-seven.

• May

Yes, sooner or later she will be "caught" and she will regret pulling such a stunt. She will have plenty of time to regret her actions while serving her prison term.

100%. The DMV cross references with the insurance companies. Loads of fools turn up with fake insurance cards. 

• Scott

She might, in fact I hope she does.

• May
      1 month agoReport

You cannot put her "ON" your insurance.  It doesn't work that way.    Her vehicle must have its own policy

In my state she would. Instantly. When it was first a requirement, I think the fake one may have worked. It took them a year or two to go online with the insurance companies.  It also would not work with cops and even trying it could mean an extra ticket.

My niece has insurance but she lacks good sense as she is thinking about packing up, moving 1000 miles away with a guy she met on the internet. SMH

• Brian

I've been pulled over without a current insurance card, and the cops were able to verify that I had current insurance online in no time. I'm sure that the dmv can do this, too. She likely would just get turned away.

• Lili

They've seen a lot of fake cards, the way liquor-store employees have seen a lot of fake IDs.  Both groups know how to spot them.