promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What can my friend do about this shity buy here pay here car place?

So a friend of mine purchased a car from a buy here pay here place. This was back in December. They are refusing to give her her permanent license plates. they just keep writing her additional 30 day temporary tags. they said she has to get the plates from her finance company which I know is bull because you have to get them from the dealership. she's tried to contact the DMV and they said that the car dealership could lose their license or something. Is there anything she can do about this place?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, there is something she can do about this place.  Thank you for asking, I think.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If the finance company does not already have the title for the car, Your friend must get a valid title in her name first and then she should get her plates from the DMV.  Finance companies don't have anything to do with issuing license plates.

• 1 month ago

Your friend should take her bill of sale and finance documents to the dmv to figure out what is needed to get the plates. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, she can file a report with DMV.

What does her contract of sale say about registering the car?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sounds like they don't have or have lost the title.  I'd give them a date to provide the title and plate and if they don't tell them the deal if off.  They have breached their end of the contract.  I would also notify your state's agency that grants a license to the dealer.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

One doesn't get plates from a finance company. You get them through the dealer or go to the DMV to get them. She needs the title to the car to get them at the DMV. They may not have given it to her and don't intend to until she pays the car off. That's not the way it's done. The dealership files the lien with the DMV and it's placed on the title. Permanent plates can then be issued. She should file a formal complaint with the DMV and with the state licensing bureau. All she needs is the dealer name and registration number which should be on a sign at their place of business.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I bet the place doesn't have the title. tell her to do a title search on the car. if the title isn't owned by the dealership, tell her report the place to the police. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"she's tried to contact the DMV and they said that the car dealership could lose their license or something"

Did it occur to her to ask the DMV how/where to file a complaint?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.