What son of Israel started the Zionist Movement?

Meaning what tribe iniated this and why?

Is there an order to the tribes?

And if so, how are they determined?

The birthplace of the Jewish people is the land of Israel. ... revolt of the Maccabees (Asmoneans) against the restrictions on the practice of Judaism and the desecration of the Lehi clandestine movement founded in 1941; Palmach, Haganah's attack force, was founded. ... In 1987, widespread violence (intifada) began in areas administered by Israel.

• Robert

Hello Jerome,

Likely dating from the yearning of the Jews to return home to their ancestral homeland when exiled by the Babylonians and thus primarily originating from the tribe of Judah. 

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

“Zion (Hebrew: צִיּוֹן‎‎ Tsiyyon), [...] often used as a synonym for Jerusalem.[2][3] The word is first found in [the “Old Testament” Bible] 2 Samuel 5:7 which dates from c.630–540 BC according to modern scholarship.

It commonly referred to a specific mountain near Jerusalem (Mount Zion), on which stood a Jebusite fortress of the same name that was conquered by [King] David and was named the City of David. The term Tzion [Zion] came to designate the area of Jerusalem where the [Jebusite] fortress stood, and later became a metonym for [King] Solomon’s Temple, [and] the [Old] city of Jerusalem [...]”.

Footnotes:

2. Longman, Tremper; Enns, Peter (2008). Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry & Writings: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship. InterVarsity Press. p. 936. ISBN 978-0-8308-1783-2.

3. Anderson, Arnold Albert (1981). The book of Psalms. Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-551-00846-5.

Extract Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion

- - - - End of extract - - - -

Zionism can be traced to the first Exiles of Jewish People caused by foreign invasion and occupation as shown from the extract from Psalm 137 below. Yet the Jewish People have also had an unbroken presence in their ancestral homeland of Israel despite exiles of many of its people; an unbroken presence dating from Biblical times.

- - - - Start of extract from Psalm 137, verses 1 to 6: - - - -

1. By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat, we also wept when we remembered Zion.

2. On willows in its midst we hung our harps.

3. For there our captors asked us for words of song and our tormentors [asked of us] mirth, "Sing for us of the song of Zion."

4. How shall we sing the song of the Lord on foreign soil?"

5. If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget [its skill].

6. May my tongue cling to my palate, if I do not remember you, if I do not bring up Jerusalem at the beginning of my joy.

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16358/...

- - - - End of extract from Psalm 137, verses 1 to 6 - - - -

“Zionism” is simply Jewish nationalism, and if it were to be considered “wrong”, then the nationalism of other nations would also have to be wrong, for example Arab nationalism.

Zionism forms part of the Jewish religion since the land of Israel and the Jewish religion cannot be separated, and the land of Israel is the ancestral homeland of the Jewish People, in which the Jews have unbroken presence since Biblical times.

Zionism is the desire to protect the re-establishment of Israel within its historic homeland, with Zion – Jerusalem, as its capital, while respecting its neighbours. What is now East Jerusalem (aka the “Old City”), was the capital of all the previous Jewish kingdoms of Judea and (united) kingdom of Israel.

Israel is Re-established within the Jewish ancestral homeland. There has never been any “Palestine” sovereign state by which the “Palestinian” Arabs could base any claim to the land of Israel. The Jews have unbroken presence in their land and previous sovereign states there, since Biblical times. Using the term “Palestine” to refer to the land of Israel is misleading, since there has never been any sovereign state of “Palestine”. The only valid-name for the land belongs to the Jewish-indigenous sovereign states before the Re-establishment of Israel in 1948, which are “Israel” or “Judea”, for example:

Map of Jewish Hasmonean Kingdom of Judah (aka Judea) including the West Bank, Gaza, and Golan Heights, with its capital of (what is now EAST) Jerusalem / “Old City”; between 110 BCE / 754 BH and 63 BCE / 706 BH:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4...

From where then did “Palestine” as a name imposed on the land of Israel, come?

The Romans imposed the name “Palæstina” (“Palestine”) on Roman-occupied Judea / Israel, resurrecting it from the smaller “Philistia” (approx. Gaza till Jaffa), in which the defunct Philistines had their five city kingdoms.

The “Palestinian” Arabs have no connection with the ancient Philistines.

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

“After crushing the [Jewish] Bar Kokhba revolt [135 CE / 779 BH–778 BH], the Roman Emperor Hadrian applied [imposed] the name Syria Palestina to the entire region, that had formerly included Judea province.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria_Palaestina

- - - - End of extract - - - -

- - - - Start of extract: - - - -

“[...] After Roman times the name [“Palestine”] had no official status until after [...] the end of rule by the Ottoman Empire, when it was adopted for one of the regions mandated to Great Britain [...]”.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Palestine

- - - - End of extract - - - -

There has never been any sovereign state of “Palestine” upon which the “Palestinian” Arabs could base any claim to the land of Israel (Roman-imposed name “Palestine”). “British Mandate Palestine” was an administrative region (not a sovereign state) and with a name resurrected from that imposed under Roman occupation of Jewish Judea - On the linked web page please scroll down and compare its 2nd second & 3rd maps:

http://www.shamrak.com/Masada2000-HistoryofPalesti...

The prior Ottoman Turkish empire did not use any such political term as “Palestine”, but rather Ottoman-occupied Judea / Israel was within the Ottoman province of “Syria”:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Syria

I hope this helps.

Robert.

Source(s): Please click the sources given above, or if any are not clickable you can copy their address to your web browser’s address bar.

Theodor Herzl ..... Hungarian .... descendants of the Hun.....  probably related to Hitler

• TNO

Basically, the Tribe of Judah.

There are twelve tribes of Israel, but most Jews today claim descent through the Tribe of Judah. Most of the Tribes are considered "lost", though various groups (both Jewish and non-Jewish) do claim descent from them. However, when the Jews were dispersed throughout the world by the Romans, the majority of Jews living in Israel were of the Tribe of Judah, with the smaller Tribe of Benjamin and members of the Levite Tribe in there as well (and maybe some others). Actually, it's because of the demographics at this time that we call members of this religion "Jews": To the people of this faith, they're the "People of Israel" but to the Romans (and other outsiders), they just saw mostly Judeans and from that we get the modern name of the faith. 

As the Father of Modern Zionism, Theodore Herzl, is a Jew, we can assume most of his Jewish ancestry can be traced back to the Tribe of Judah. There may be various amounts of other tribes in there, as well as genes from outside the Israelite pool (through conversion, marriage, etc.), but generally modern day Jews are "of the Tribe of Judah".

There is no real order of the tribes, and such hierarchy is largely archaic. The Levites, sometimes seen as a "priestly" tribe (though a misnomer since Jewish preisthood isn't determined by tribal affiliation), still maintains a distinct status in many places. But this status is, at the end, just an acknowledgement of their background and nothing more substantial. In practice, the familial responsibilities aren't able to be carried out today (since there is no Grand Temple) so for most people it's just something unique to note about them. 

The magnificent, good, honest, moral sons of Israel created the beautiful, flourishing Jewish state of Israel. I pray Israel will continue to build and expand with God's help and the Rebbe B"H's blessing Olov Shalom. Amen!

Amos 9:11-12,14 "On that day, I will raise up the fallen Tabernacle of David, and I will close up their breaches, and I will raise up its ruins, and build it up as in the days of yore. In order that they inherit the remnant of Edom and all the nations because My Name is called upon them, says the Lord Who does this. And I will return the captivity of My people Israel, and they shall rebuild desolate cities and inhabit [them], and they shall plant vineyards and drink their wine, and they shall make gardens and eat their produce."

Psalm 115:14 "May the Lord add upon you, upon you and upon your children."

Jeremiah 23:3 "And I will gather the remnant of My flocks from all the lands where I have driven them, and I will restore them to their dwellings and they shall be fruitful and multiply."

Isaiah 14:2-3 "And peoples shall take them and bring them to their place, and the House of Israel shall inherit them on the soil of the Lord, for slaves and maidservants, and they shall be captors to their captors and rule over those who dominate over them. And it shall come to pass on the day the Lord allows you to rest from your sorrow and from your shuddering, and from the hard work that you were made to serve."

A prophecy that the Palestinians will accept their fate eventually:

Isaiah 60:14 "The sons of your oppressors will come and bow down to you; all who reviled you will fall facedown at your feet and call you the City of the LORD, Zion of the Holy One of Israel."

Isaiah 49:18-26 "And you can be just as sure that your people will be like decorations you will wear. Like a bride, you will wear them proudly.  "Zion, you were destroyed. Your land was left empty. It was turned into a dry and empty desert. But now you will be too small to hold all of your people. And those who destroyed you will be far away. The children who were born during your time of sorrow will speak to you. They will say, 'This city is too small for us. Give us more space to live in.' 

Then you will say to yourself, 'Whose children are these? I lost my children. And I couldn't have any more. My children were taken far away from me. And no one wanted them. Who brought these children up? I was left all alone. So where have these children come from?' "  The LORD and King continues, "I will call out to the nations. I will give a signal to them. They will bring back your sons in their arms. They will carry your daughters on their shoulders.  Their kings will become like fathers to you. Their queens will be like mothers who nurse you. They will bow down to you with their faces toward the ground. They will kiss the dust at your feet to show you their respect. 

Then you will know that I am the Lord. Those who put their hope in me will not be ashamed." Can goods that were stolen by soldiers be taken away from them? Can prisoners be set free from the powerful Babylonians? "Yes, they can," the LORD answers. "Prisoners will be taken away from soldiers. Stolen goods will be taken back from the powerful Babylonians. Zion, I will fight against those who fight against you. And I will save your people. I will make those who beat you down eat the flesh of others. They will drink blood and get drunk on it as if it were wine. Then everyone on earth will know that I am the one who saves you. I am the Lord. I set you free. I am the Mighty One of Jacob."

Isaiah 51:23 "They said to you, 'Fall down flat on the ground. Then we can walk all over you.' And that is exactly what you did. You made your back like a street to be walked on."

Ezekiel 36:23 "I will show the holiness of My great name, which has been profaned among the nations--the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Lord GOD, when I show My holiness in you before their eyes."

Ezekiel 39:21 "I will display My glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the judgment that I execute and the hand that I lay upon them."

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
    • Robert
      1 month agoReport

Mahmoud Abbas complains to U.N. Security Council Feb. 12, 2020, that offer of state seems like "Swiss Cheese", while seated behind previous "Palestinian" Arab falsehood-propaganda, a placecard stating: "State of Palestine":
      https://www.yahoo.com/news/abbas-u-plan-offers-palestinians-213551101.html

Zionism was created in eastern Europe Theodore Herzl, no relation with Israel or the tribes.

This guy was dreaming and made the mistake that will end the world if the present Zionists  execute the book in its details, and they are decided to do it.

If the world ends with a world war, it is because of that damn Theodore.

• Robert
      1 month agoReport

Contributor Jerome wrote: "Are these type of Jews even semitic?": The Jewish People have Judean ancestry. Would he bother to ask such about other nations or ethnicities? He claims (elsewhere) to be concerned about the rights of black people, yet his remarks about Jews, recall such racist prejudice.

• BMCR

This guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Herzl

Tribes are somewhat irrelevant within Judaism in the modern era (i.e. a Jew is still a Jew regardless of which tribe they are from or even if they are a convert) and completely irrelevant to Zionism so it is odd that you want to make some sort of association with it.

Within the modern era, there is a distinction between a Cohen, Levi, and Israel.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-tribes-to...

• BMCR
      1 month agoReport

The reality is that Chasidim are very makpid of Cholov Yisrael, many in the yeshivish world (likely a majority) are makpid, but everyone else... not so much.
      That ain't gonna change.