Lightning proof home?

Ok our home has been hit by lightning 3 times in 4 years.. cost is always an issue so I'm looking at installing lightning rods myself.. shud be small about 12 in above the home and grounded twice at opposite sides to meet Florida code.. do I need a permit to install them or can I do it myself?

Also should I ever win my magic millions is there any better idea on lightning proofing my home other than covering the outside of my home with 1/2 in 100% silver plates and 20 ft grounding rods? E.g. on the cheapo side couldn't I just have a steel building that's properly insulated and grounded?

You could try to do this yourself, here are the national guidelines:

https://legacy-uploads.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/2...

You need to check with the code department where you live if a permit is required.  Different places, different requirements

• Mark

You can do it yourself, and you don't need a permit, assuming that it is not 100 feet tall.