Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

Someone used my designs for polymerclay?

Hi, i just need help how should i make a deal with it? Someone messaged me and sent me a pic of the designs i made for the foods-associated-with-the-idols-we-stan, so it's like a mini food, cute characters. A fanart, but my personal designs. And the person already made a set of keychains, posted on their page. I looked it up and see that they put credits on me, but i was wondering if i should ask for payments or stuff? Since it's theyre gonna get profit from it? Also, theyre just starting business i guess, not much likes on page and few comments but he/she mentioned that he/she is starting to get orders of my designs.. so what am i supposed to do? Anyone? Thanks for the help in advance! I havent replied with the message yet.

Bring your documentation to an IP (Intellectual Property) attorney.  They'll tell you if you have a case worth pursuing.  

You need to talk to an attorney. If you don't take any steps to protect your creative work, it will become owned by the public.

Copyright exists the moment something is created. If you register the copyright with the government, you have certain legal right in the case of litigation, such as the ability to sue for attorneys fees.

Someone can't avoid copyright protection by crediting you. You have a right to the monetary value of your creations. But you still have to take legal steps to protect yourself. It's a cost of doing business. If you can't afford an attorney, you're SOL.

Let it go. There's only so many ways that food can be represented.

About the only thing you can do is contact the person's website host and claim infringement, but if you didn't have copyright filed on the design, it's not going to go anywhere.

• Paul1 month agoReport

You don't know what you're talking about. Copyright exists at the moment something is created. Filing for copyright protection just gives certain advantages if the case goes to court.